MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

I would concentrate on finding a commercial kitchen to work out of and getting more catering customers before you spend alot more money on a catering van. Have you considered renting a catering van maybe on certain days of the week or different times of the day. Around here they have mobile lunch trucks that take food to factories a lunch time I've always thought about selling them pulled pork sandwiches and having them re-sell to clients. I'm sure there is a way to sell your BBQ somewhere. Just keep trying.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

O I hae a comercial kitchen that I can use with no problem so thats covered. Things are a bit differant over here and as far as burger vans and the such. The best way aboutit is to get a place to vend from the council offices. The prime spots are in the town centers, these guys fire up around half seven in the evening and end at say two AM. The clientel is mostly peoplr making their way home from the pubs and night clubs so pulinh in well over a grand on a Friday is normal. The second best is building sites, outside places like Home Dept and high traffic areas.

The drive up type of service that vwe are use to is al run by private companys and the monet really isnt there for a free lancer.

I haven't found anyone or place that rents vans though.

I want to go mobile in one unit for several reasons such as I'm limited on parking /storage space, easier to get one unit around then pulling a lunch box and I need to be mobile so that in the summer I can get to carnivals , horse shows etc because thats where the big money is.

This is the typical set up for events..

This is more of what we see daily parked on corners..

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like a great idea doc. I didn't see any BBQ vendors in your pics. Is it very popular over there? Good luck with the new venture!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #19
Dr_KY

I haven't seen a single BBQ vendor in six years other than a hog roast at large functions. I have had a few conversations with a guy that has a roaster and wants to team up over the summer months so I'll be into that. I have been to a hog roast or two and keeping in mind I have never done one myself I still feel that the standards were very very low but people love them because of what they are. A slice of that pig cost you about 5.00 on a roll with a spoonful of apple sauce.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #20
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi Doc,
I have travelled England a fair bit (was over this summer in Maidenhead, Manchester and Birmingham on business selling cranes for my German employer) and have been pretty successful over here selling Q, my other job. Seems to me the evening thing could be good for you...maybe set up outside a football (soccer) stadium in the evening? I was floored by the number of vendors outside the game we saw....

What is your pricing like on pork shoulders and beef brisket? I'm paying about $2.49 US for Brisket and selling a sandwich for $6.00. $8 with 2 sides.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #21
Dr_KY

I'll have to ask the butcher tomorrow about cost( he's closed today) but I have recently received a customer number for the cash and carry ( Price Club sort of place) to use so I'll check there too.

You see where I'm coming from with the van and being mobile? Just shut the doors batten down and drive away .
Did you notice while over here the placements of catering trailers and the such. It's a bit different from the states but I know I can make this work for me and I have found people love great BBQ. I won't be able to stick strictly to the BBQ rule but PP and brisket should match and overtake those elephant legs. Ribs may not be till later in the game.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I think you are spot on. You may need to think about a smaller trailer, as your roadways don't lend themselves to my rig (22' Long x 6.5' Wide plus a 22' Long truck to tow it with). I think you could do well.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #23
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Find that nitch and do what noone else does and you will make it. In my area of NY there is no BBQ and I have it locked up so far. Another thing I learned don't try to do to much variety find you signiture dishes and add specials on and if they work add them to you daily menue. This will help waist and you bottom line and take special ordres for by the pound sales. Find a vacume machine and store up 1lb bags for people to take home I do alot of them. Good Luck.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
Dr_KY

Ya that's why the first one I posted would be ideal,one van and no trailer suits me down to the ground. I'll be picking up a used postal van/truck from a friend shortly so that can be used for other things in the mean time.

Ugly but that's the general rule over here.lol

I'll look into a vac sucker after I get a unit. I have used the butchers several times as long as I leave a bag of goodies for him. I have the BBQ market cornered ( at least around here)I just gotta get the right vehicle.

I just looked on my Sat Nav and the nearest BBQ joint is over 80 miles away!!

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #25
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Find that nitch and do what noone else does and you will make it. In my area of NY there is no BBQ and I have it locked up so far. Another thing I learned don't try to do to much variety find you signiture dishes and add specials on and if they work add them to you daily menue. This will help waist and you bottom line and take special ordres for by the pound sales. Find a vacume machine and store up 1lb bags for people to take home I do alot of them. Good Luck.
We had it pretty well locked until 2 years ago when a competitor opened a full service Q restaurant, something we had been asked to do several times. We said no, kept catering to our nitch, and so far so good. The restaurant is now t*ts up, and we keep plugging along......