More Of The $.99 Pork Butt

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
This is too good of a deal to pass up. Today I'm making some pepper pork for a Christmas pot luck tomorrow. These were two 7 pound butts, I turned them into four 3-1/2 pound ones.

DSC06397JPGa.jpg

DSC06400JPGa.jpg

DSC06401JPGa.jpg

DSC06407JPGa.jpg

Looks real good. I have never seen the pepperoncinis used like that. What do they do for the meat? I love those little things.

Man I bet thats gonna be good. What in the liquid the Pork is resting in?

Looks real good. I have never seen the pepperoncinis used like that. What do they do for the meat? I love those little things.

As you know, the peppers are pretty mild right out of the jar and after cooking down for 5 or 6 hours they get super tender. So tender if fact that when you add them to a sandwich or flour tortilla, the stems fall right off and can be thrown away. I'm sure between the peppers and the juice from the jar, it has some tenderizing effect on the meat.

Man I bet thats gonna be good. What in the liquid the Pork is resting in?

In there are 3 cans of chicken broth, 3 chopped onions, 3 packs of dry Italian dressing mix, 1 pack of French onion soup mix and 2 jars of peppers with the juice. You just braise the whole thing until the meat is fork tender. After shredding the meat I mix the peppers into it, and add broth for moisture. Then I chill the remaining broth, de-fat it and take it along to serve with the meat.

As you know, the peppers are pretty mild right out of the jar and after cooking down for 5 or 6 hours they get super tender. So tender if fact that when you add them to a sandwich or flour tortilla, the stems fall right off and can be thrown away. I'm sure between the peppers and the juice from the jar, it has some tenderizing effect on the meat.

I thought it might be for aiding the meat in cooking. Using the peppers cooked down is a brilliant idea. Thanks

DSC06418JPGa.jpg

I'm done. It's pulled and cooling, broth is strained and cooling.....Some chicken and rice soup, heavy on the veggies is up for dinner.​

Wow!! That looks really good!! You just put that on the grill for some flavor and charring and then add it to the broth? And serve on tortilla?

Wow!! That looks really good!! You just put that on the grill for some flavor and charring and then add it to the broth? And serve on tortilla?

Yeah, that's it.

It's surprising how much flavor it gets from the couple of hours on the cooker, and how that flavors the broth a bit. I braise mine in a 18 Qt Nesco roaster set at 250°, this batch went almost 6 hours. When it fell apart turning it, it was done. Total time was 8 hours 2 on the cooker and 6 in the roaster.

Dang, looks awsome!! Here at my local grocery got the butts for .89 lb. In packages of two in cryovac. Picked some up yesterday.

Hey Thirdeye, I tried that recipe over Thanksgiving weekend (I know, I know, no pics didn't happen, but it did.) because I had seen it on a previous post. It was absolutely AWESOME. Thanks for the recipe. You guys have got to try this recipe.

Back