Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Cornelia Apple Blossom BBQ Festival 4-18,19

I will be at Cornelia cooking in the backyard competition. First time cooking in a competition and I'm pretty nervous about it.

Big D's Tarheel BBQ

Big D, you'll be fine and you're gonna love it. If you forget anything someone will help you out. The BBQ community is the best group of folks around. I'll make sure to come by and say hi. Good luck!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I think the reason why I'm so nervous is because I want to like it and continue doing more! I have been looking for a good pull behind smoker to do competitions and maybe some catering as a side job. Just looking to get my feet wet and be close to home. Again thanks for the encouragement and I am looking forward to meeting some other bbq nuts!

I just may do that. I think right now my biggest fear is forgetting something major at home haha. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to compete in the pro division.

If you forget something, I'm sure one of the Brethren has a spare. We should be there early on Friday. Drop by our tent, if we don't make it down to yours first.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I think the reason why I'm so nervous is because I want to like it and continue doing more! I have been looking for a good pull behind smoker to do competitions and maybe some catering as a side job. Just looking to get my feet wet and be close to home. Again thanks for the encouragement and I am looking forward to meeting some other bbq nuts!

I used to worry about forgetting stuff in the beginning until I realized there are always grocery stores close. So other than definitely not forgetting my meat and maybe injections all the other stuff can be picked up at the store. One competition I did forget my injection and just made something with things at the store and oddly got a call so I have no idea what that means :crazy:.

Swing by our spot and say hi we'll be getting weird with The Pig Lebowski all weekend :thumb:.

Jason

yeah. I think that is one of the hardest things in bbq..especially when starting out is to not bring everything you ow, ya know, just in case. You basically will never need all that stuff and you end up killing yourself to move it over and over again. less is better.

I just may do that. I think right now my biggest fear is forgetting something major at home haha. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to compete in the pro division.

I don't know why I didn't mention the obvious- find a good checklist (if you don't already have one) and stick with it. PM me if you don't have one and I'll send you over a few good ones.

This was our first contest last year too (as a BY team) so PLEASE make sure to come by and say hello! We love meeting the new teams.

Don't be worried to ask for help or advice for clarification on stuff from other teams. Last year we ran out of paper towel and our neighbor gave us a whole roll to use. Another pro team let us watch their parsley box building so we knew what on earth we were doing, AND Jason (Tenacious Q) even shared some of their comp. food (we swapped) and gave us great feedback on what we turned in. The BBQ community is a great place to be, and everyone is more than willing to help out as you need it.

When we're making our rounds on Friday, I'll make a point to come find y'all and say hello, but in the meantime if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send me a message and I'll be more than happy to help where I can!

Good luck!

Back