Suggestions / Akron Grill Grate

John Bowen

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Been loving cooking on my Akron – since July I have been cooking with it at least twice a week and the other grills have been jealous by the lack of attention however …

Last Thursday I grilled steaks – cleaned up the Akron and put it back in the garage – like every other time I use it. It rained Friday through Sunday. I drove home yesterday and saw the top grill grate part sitting on top of our picnic table and it was covered in rust – which broke my heart. I remember cleaning it before I shut the heat down after cooking but I guess I did not – I certainly don’t remember putting the grill grate on top of the picnic table. I am going to try and clean it but it looks like a lost cause.

Before I look to order a new top grill grate does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement other than the Akron grill grate. The two sections can be a pain when I clean and I would not mind a cast iron grill grate if the price was right.

Are you talking about chrome plated top grate or the cast iron cooking grate? If your referring to the cast iron grate just clean it up and reseason it.

Well cleaning it will be my Saturday project but it looks like it will be a big job - I have never seen so much rust. I was just looking for ideas if there might be other options.

if it is the cast iron grate from the akorn, soak it in some vinegar and take some steel wool too it to knock the remaining rust off. Then rub it down with some lard or spray down with PAM and fire up your Akorn and run it at about 300 degrees.

Well cleaning it will be my Saturday project but it looks like it will be a big job - I have never seen so much rust. I was just looking for ideas if there might be other options.

If it is the cast iron grate just take a wire brush and hit the rust then reseason the grate.

Back