• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dry, No Foil Spares (pr0n)

BobM

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Most of this past year, I've been smoking spare ribs using the 3-2-1 (more like 2 1/2, 2, 1/2) method. The results have been great, but sometimes ya' just gotta change it up.
I did these ribs dry and did not foil them.

I St. Louis cut two racks of spare ribs. I slathered them with yellow mustard and coated them with my standard rib rub (sucralose, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper). I put in a little extra garlic powder, onion powder and salt as well as some cayenne powder.

I cooked them on my 22 1/2" WSM at around 250F, with some apple wood chunks mixed in. After about 2 hours, I started spritzing them with a mixture of apple juice and a little apple cider vinegar, about every 20 minutes. When they started to get dark, I started toothpick testing them for doneness. Continually opening up the WSM screws the temperature up, so I stayed with it. After about 7 hours, they were done.

They were moist, tender with a great bark, very tasty. With no sauce on them, you could really taste the pork flavor and the smoke. I'm kinda of liking them this way!

On the WSM.
98lj.jpg

Started spritzing.
rbmy.jpg

In progress.
qpon.jpg

Getting there.
pq6l.jpg

Done.
zmyu.jpg

Cut up.
skz6.jpg

Pot of ribs.
r2bw.jpg

Beer o' the day.
dl6q.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I like dry ribs too. Try dusting them with your rub right before serving. I sometimes use a sauce as a "dip". Looks good brother.

Very nice. I don't foil ribs either.

Good choice on beer of the day too.

I prefer mine dry as well, but I still sauce them sometimes, depending on my mood.

Those look great, I have always been fearful of leaving them out of the foil, I would hate to ruin $30 worth of ribs. The brethen are making me confident I can do it though.

Very nice!! I don't foil either, but do mine closer to 300F. I don't have the patience nor the time frame of 7 hours. :)

Very nice! I love dry ribs. I don't spritz, and I bet the constant cooling by doing that is why they took 7 hours.

Very nice! I love dry ribs. I don't spritz, and I bet the constant cooling by doing that is why they took 7 hours.

while spritzing every 20 minutes may be a little too frequent, i'm not sure you can atribute the 7-hour cook time to that alone unless the dome was open for an extended period of time. the motto "let it cook and don't look" is a pretty good way to go if you're comfortable with your cooker.

bobm - where do you have your thermometer mounted?

Back