Bone in pork belly

H

humbe

Just picked up a bone in pork belly. It looks identical to the one that London BBQer posted back in August so I am inspired to try out some of his learnings from that thread. I'd post a link to it but don't yet know how as I am new to the forum.

Happy to have found a good group to exchange BBQ thoughts with. Low and slow is the finest cooking there is!

I have just put the rub on. I'm using the Meathead Memphis Dust recipe from his site http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html
Used oil for the slather and now going to let it sit overnight in the fridge.

I have been using my weber grill with a smoke box to good effect. I'll be using Hickory with this particular piece of pork. Wish me luck!

and we'll be watching

and while it is never required, photos, we love photos,

I love bone-in pork bellies! Like Jamus, I prefer to think of 'em as really meaty ribs.

Actually they really do look like ribs. i believe its the short ribs that extend to the belly. Will get a picture up shortly.

Here's a picture of the belly in the fridge. Forgot to mention I got it with the skin on. Anybody have suggestions on how to crisp the skin? Was thinking to perhaps pull it off at the end and finishing in the oven. Then again may just leave it on as I do with a Boston butt.

image (3).jpg

Only for you cfarmer :heh:

And that looks like it's going to be one tasty belly to fill your belly

I post pics of everything I cook.

Might post some pastrami sammies later.

I like the look of them there ribs.

I know, but its the truth.

I want everyone know how lousy I cook. :shock:

I take photos of everything I cook, I've never posted them here though.

Back to the pork belly. My local store sells the bone in and bone out bellies, I always get the bone out for making bacon, though the bone in always looks so good and is cheaper. I might have to pick one up and give it a try. (and now that I'm talking about belly and bacon, I had to buy commercial bacon tonight, and was so disappointed)

I've never seen bone in belly, can't wait for the results of this cook!

Thinking pastrami is my next project. I did a full brisket last weekend and was very happy with it.

I had originally thought to cure bacon this week but the butcher got my order wrong. So wound up buying what they had. An old teacher use to say to get what you want, want what you get. From what I've read and seen here it looks like this May have been a blessing in disguise.
That said, I'm with you on store bought bacon. The things folks do to bacon should be illegal.

The belly went on the grill at 7 am. I'm going to hold the temp at 275 using the advice from one of the posters on the site in order to render the fat. I'll check the temp at noon and take a picture then.
I'm considering turning the heat up for the last 30 mins to crisp the skin but am hesitant as the rub has quite a bit of sugar and don't want to burn it.

Here it is at 12 noon, temp reading 180. Looks about done, turned up the heat to crisp the skin a bit then will pull to rest.

image (4).jpg

Back