• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NY Area Teams

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Would you be interested in participating in a practice cook this fall/winter where I provide trained judges and you turned in food that was scored BUT everything else is completely up to you?

For example, if the cooks wanted we could set it up where each team turns in 3 boxes of ribs, each with a different style so they can get feedback on what direction to take or we could create custom feedback cards that the judges would use or each team could have 5 minutes with the judges after their turn-ins.

Obviously there would be no charge (although I'd probably make the judges bring canned food as usual and we'd donate it to a foodbank) and all the parameters would be set by the teams (times, physical set ups, etc.).

I would get 6 or 12 of our most experienced judges, depending on the amount of cooks that are interested. I can't imagine that it would cost the teams anything aside from the food, fuel, time and energy. Maybe an extra few ribs if I have to get someone to act as table captains or help w/ turn-ins.

To be clear, this is just an idea that I'm wondering about. Certainly nothing more than that at this point.

Eric

That sounds very interesting! It would be great to get feedback on Chicken and rib recipes we have been working on.

I think if it's going to be just a one day thing, we could do chicken and ribs?? I know I have been thinking about doing some different things with chicken!!

This is all very theoretical.

We would need to get a location first and the WilliePallooza venue isn't an option. For something this simple, we could use an office building or something similar on a Saturday.

Do any Long Islanders have access to something like that?

Eric

This is all very theoretical.

We would need to get a location first and the WilliePallooza venue isn't an option. For something this simple, we could use an office building or something similar on a Saturday.

Do any Long Islanders have access to something like that?

Eric

How much would it cost us for the Maples for a day or maybe one of the vineyards on the North Fork?

i'm almost wrapped up with the deal on my store, the parking lot across the street is big, and dead. Might be a viable option. For any teams that don't know me, I live in wading river, 5 minutes from the maples

I'm new to BBQ'ing and I have thought of entering a comp. but was afraid of getting my butt handed to me. What I mean by that is that what I thought was some good eating and the judges scored me DFL. I think this would be a great idea for the newbe as well. An opportunity to learn from somebody who's been there already.

Well, it seems that we certainly have interest. The only hurdle would be a location.

We need to have an outdoor area where folks can cook, coupled with a room for the judges.

I don't know about the Maples and I'm not sure about a winery, but both of those would cost money and I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible for the teams.

Does anyone own or have the use of a building in central Long Island where we could use the parking lot and a single room? Preferably a building with wifi and that has excess peanut M&M's? And maybe attractive belly dancers?

Ok, some of those aren't strictly necessary.

Eric

Patrick has kindly offered the use of his storefront for the judging (and bathroom facilities) and there is an open space across the street for the cooks.

He is in Wading River which is on the north shore of Long Island at about exit 68 or so on the LIE.

If anyone else has any location leads, please chime in.

Obviously we would have to do this on a Saturday or Sunday.

I'd recruit judges that have a minimum of say 15 contests under their belts.

The week before Thanksgiving is out and so is Dec. 21st.

Would Nov. 30th work for people?

Eric

Back