MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

I would be more worried about the house
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Smoke View Post
I would be more worried about the house
thats the whole point of my post!!

hello?? anyone in there??? ;)
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

after looking online I have determined that these are carpenter ants as I suspected.

I chopped up all the wood around the one I found with the ants in it and saw no more of them

What I am going to do is over the next few days, chop all the rest of the wood into splits and if I dont see anymore, not worry about it.

They are real obvious when they are there.

If I do find more, then I will figure out what to do with that wood.
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARNAAL View Post
since Jack Daniels went to 80 Proof
I figured thats good enough for Ants..
Jack Daniels went to 80 proof?

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

As far as I know, ants are easier to get rid of than termites. Termites live underground. When a house is treated for termites, they generally drill holes every few feet in the cellar floor near the wall to inject poison. Also a chemical barrier is put in the ground around the foundation. There are a few ways to do this. I actually knew an exterminator quite a few years ago. It they are ants, you can probably treat the garage yourself to be safe. But get the wood out of there.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
Cinnamon is ant Kryptonite! They hate it. That's always worked for me.
If they are union carpenter ants take away their benefits and in sure they will strike...
Good luck
So, do you sprinkle it on the ground around the woodpile?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

spray around the outside of the pile .They have to go back to the nest . and if you spray they take it back to the nest
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Singed 'Stache
Found some matches.

Hey there, forest pest management is my job. Finally I have something to contribute to this forum (as it sure isn't barbeque tips yet, although I'm quickly getting the hang of my UDS and have figured out what a fatty is).

Both termites and carpenter ants need a moisture source, so whatever you picked up was probably in the wood before you brought it into the garage. Look at the tunnels in the split wood. The tunnels of carpenter ants are very smooth and clean; termites have bits of mud and mess inside. Given your location (Dearborn), I'd guess carpenter ants.

Each carpenter ant colony has one queen. Chances are as you cut the tree or repiled the wood, you didn't bring her home. So you likely have workers slowly dieing off with no replacements. They have probably been confined to just a few pieces of wood, although may scavenge for food especially at night. Carpenter ants do not eat wood. They only hollow it out for their nest (if there is a moisture source).

I would just keep an eye on it. Check around the pile after dark. If you don't see scouts all over, your roof isn't leaking, no puddles running from your car into the woodpile, etc., you probably have nothing to worry about. That said, don't leave it around indefinitely; yes, now you have an excuse to fire up the smoker every weekend.

Hope this helps.
Singed 'Stache is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #24
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singed 'Stache View Post
Hey there, forest pest management is my job. Finally I have something to contribute to this forum (as it sure isn't barbeque tips yet, although I'm quickly getting the hang of my UDS and have figured out what a fatty is).

Both termites and carpenter ants need a moisture source, so whatever you picked up was probably in the wood before you brought it into the garage. Look at the tunnels in the split wood. The tunnels of carpenter ants are very smooth and clean; termites have bits of mud and mess inside. Given your location (Dearborn), I'd guess carpenter ants.

Each carpenter ant colony has one queen. Chances are as you cut the tree or repiled the wood, you didn't bring her home. So you likely have workers slowly dieing off with no replacements. They have probably been confined to just a few pieces of wood, although may scavenge for food especially at night. Carpenter ants do not eat wood. They only hollow it out for their nest (if there is a moisture source).

I would just keep an eye on it. Check around the pile after dark. If you don't see scouts all over, your roof isn't leaking, no puddles running from your car into the woodpile, etc., you probably have nothing to worry about. That said, don't leave it around indefinitely; yes, now you have an excuse to fire up the smoker every weekend.

Hope this helps.
from your description of the holes they are carpenter ants for sure. Looks like someone drilled a hole in the wood. And the ones I did see when I cut that piece of wood sure looked like them too so I am sure they are not termites.

thanks for your expert opinion.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #25
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Personally, I'd get a pallet and stack the wood on it outside.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
thats the whole point of my post!!

hello?? anyone in there??? ;)
Guess I should have read more than 1/2 your post.
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #27
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Smoke View Post
Guess I should have read more than 1/2 your post.
thats ok

I am guilty of that too

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

I had them all over my house at one time. Now they are gone! Try to find out exactly where they are coming in. Then use maxforce ant killer gel or DuPont Advion gel.
They both come in a small tube that is about no more than $5-$10. Put a little out and it will attract them , they eat it and take it back to colony and wipes them out! I haven't seen any since I used it! Years ago. You can find it on EBay .

Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Singed 'Stache
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
Personally, I'd get a pallet and stack the wood on it outside.
Well yes, that is much preferred. Professional recommendation is also 'don't stack wood next to a building' as the last thing one needs is termites or carpenter ants infesting an old wet pile and then getting adventurous in the sill plate and wall joists nearby. That said, don't look beside my garage if you come to my house ;)
Singed 'Stache is offline   Reply With Quote