• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thanks California (first pron)

They're flavorless, cooked at any temp, which is why the santa maria style was invented...an attempt to give them flavor. But if it floats your boat, great.
Really? You mean the stick the meat, seasoned with some salt & pepper, on a spit over an open fire of coastal oak? That's all Santa Maria style is.

Or are you saying, if you season the meat, that means the meat is actually tasteless? (Do you use seasonings on any of your meats before you cook it?) Seems to me virually everyone on here uses some kind rub, marinade or injection. Then most also add wood chunks to their fire to add flavor. And finally most add some kind of sauce to the meat once it's ready. Does this mean we're all simply masking the fact that we actually cooked flavorless meat?

I'm not trying to argue with you but please do us a flavor and further explain your thoughts.

Really? You mean the stick the meat, seasoned with some salt & pepper, on a spit over an open fire of coastal oak? That's all Santa Maria style is.

Or are you saying, if you season the meat, that means the meat is actually tasteless? (Do you use seasonings on any of your meats before you cook it?) Seems to me virually everyone on here uses some kind rub, marinade or injection. Then most also add wood chunks to their fire to add flavor. And finally most add some kind of sauce to the meat once it's ready. Does this mean we're all simply masking the fact that we actually cooked flavorless meat?

I'm not trying to argue with you but please do us a flavor and further explain your thoughts.

I thought SM style had more to it than salt/pepper.

Because of the claims on this forum I purchased two tri tips- one choice and one prime and dry aged. Both were very tender and basically flavorless. After this experience I stated to research it. It seems I'm not alone in thinking this way about tri tip. But again, if this is what you like, enjoy.

I haven't made a tri-tip in a long time. I'd buy them un-trimmed with the fat cap still on. I'd score the fat and let the fat render into the meat until it's done... hmmm, I'm going to have to find some tri-tip now... it's been too long.

They're flavorless, cooked at any temp, which is why the santa maria style was invented...an attempt to give them flavor. But if it floats your boat, great.
That part about why Santa Maria was invented is flat out not true. The true and original Santa Maria BBQ did not even use sirloin as a part of the cook. As for SM flavoring, it is a fairly straight forward salt, pepper & chile powder rub if you go true traditional on it.

As to flavor or not, I am not going to argue with you, it is your judgement and right to believe as you taste. I don't like Filet Mignon at all, won't eat it at half the price. And I get tired of people telling me it is the best tasting cut of beef, just ain't so for me. You don't like tri-tip, fair enough.

My experience has been very flavorful but slightly chewy rather than tender and flavorless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre
Was just at a local meat market in Yorba Linda CA a few hours ago... $8.98 a pound.
I hear that's because SauceHitter is using them.

Trying my best, but @ 9.99/lb there is only so much I can do

I don't like Filet Mignon at all, won't eat it at half the price. And I get tired of people telling me it is the best tasting cut of beef, just ain't so for me.

I couldn't agree more.

Tender? Definitely!

Full of flavor? Almost no flavor, (to me).

I thinks that's why people wrap them in bacon.

Dave

I thought SM style had more to it than salt/pepper.

Because of the claims on this forum I purchased two tri tips- one choice and one prime and dry aged. Both were very tender and basically flavorless. After this experience I stated to research it. It seems I'm not alone in thinking this way about tri tip. But again, if this is what you like, enjoy.

Thank you for explaining. Since you're in Maryland I assume you paid top dollar for your 2 tri-Tips. Correct? (In the neighborhood of 8.99 to 10.99 a lb.?) At that price I too would be less impressed with Tri-Tip. At that price I too would expect something pretty special and it just isn't in the leauge of a Filet Mignon, Porterhouse or Ribeye. Having said that it's still a tasty cut of beef, if cooked correctly, and because I can get them cheap here in SoCal they are one of my favorite cuts to cook. If they were expensive they wouldn't be on my menu nearly as often as they are for me now. My favorite steak ever was Filet Medalions at an expensive steak house here in San Diego. Am I gong to go out and buy nothing but Filet Medalions from now on. No! One of the worst steaks I've ever had was a Rib-eye at a inexpensive steak house. Doesn't mean I'm never going to buy and cook Rib-eye again.

Anyway thanks for responding and good luck if you do ever try a Tri-Tip again.

Last edited:
Back