MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Neither do. Costco only takes American Express, but I think you can write a check.
That's crazy! Wonder why they don't accept the most used card in the world?

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

I've had Sams, BJs, and Costco memberships ~ IMHO, Costco is the best of the 3.
Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
BubbaCoy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

We have memberships to both Sams & Costco. Like others have said, each seems to have a few items that the other does not. Overall, we find Costco to be cleaner, better lit, and better customer service.

Two things I especially like about Sams:
1) Business member hours. I can get in at 7am and be out in 20-30 mins, and the store is not very crowded. Our Costco is usually jam packed with shoppers, and most of them can't drive a cart to save their life.

2) Self checkout. Costco has self checkout, but only Sams has the handheld scan gun, and it works *much* faster and more accurately than the scanner mounted in the checkout machine at Costco. I don't even have to unload the whole basket, just point the gun & pull the trigger.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

SAMs will accept VISA as long as it has a "debit" account attached to it. We use our VISA at SAMs and just click the credit button. They still get our money, but the points or whatever the hell we get for using credit card option is applied.

I think we have spent about $1,000,000,000.00 dollars and have accumulated enough points to buy a toothbrush...............

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Overall, Costco is cleaner and has better customer service all around.
Agree- keep in mind who's SAM's sister company and who pays their employee's much better-Costco. Vote with your dollar.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
caseydog

I was a Sam's member for years. Now I am a COSTCO member.

Meats and other products are about the same, IMO, as well as prices.

However, COSTCO employees are definitely happier in their jobs, from my observations. The founder of COSTCO catches a lot of flack on Wall Street for treating his store-level employees too well in pay and benefits. Wall Street prefers Sam's, for sure.

IMO, the employees at COSTCO are more friendly and helpful than the employees I dealt with at Sam's. They actually seem to like their jobs better.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #22
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
We have a membership to both. Our Costco only has boneless butts, and rarely have brisket. I like the butts and sometimes the ribs at Sam's, but mine rarely if ever has packers.

Gas at both is almost the same on any given day, and around here is 15-20 cents less per gallon.

I like comparison shopping between the two as for us, they are both less than three miles from home
My COSTCO seems to always have brisket. But this is Texas, where demand for brisket is high.

CD

Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

The whole chickens at my local Sams (probably the same one Ron_L uses) are injected. I complained about the misleading labeling (Natural Chicken) and the manager said he would get back to me about it but so far has not.

I've also been less than pleased with the produce. I hate going through the items on display trying to find one that is not moldy!

I don't expect them to change chicken vendors on one customer's account but I can at least let them know why I don't buy chickens there any more. And if enough things make my "do not buy" list I'll drop my membership again.

I have been getting briskets, ribs and butts there and have been happy with those.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
SAMs will accept VISA as long as it has a "debit" account attached to it. We use our VISA at SAMs and just click the credit button. They still get our money, but the points or whatever the hell we get for using credit card option is applied.
Forgot- that works at costco as well.

And I dont think its bad when its semi crowded- the only really bad places are by the really good free samples.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
That's crazy! Wonder why they don't accept the most used card in the world?
They accept my VISA debit card. VISA and Mastercard credit cards charge higher merchant fees than their debit cards do.

COSTCO has a co-marketing agreement with Amex. COSTCO signs up new AMEX cardholders, and COSTCO gets a special deal on merchant fees.

CD

Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
slackdogbbq
Full Fledged Farker

If you have a Restaurant Depot close dump all the aforementioned IMO
slackdogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackdogbbq View Post
If you have a Restaurant Depot close dump all the aforementioned IMO
If you're only interested in foodstuffs, I might agree. But Costco and Sam's both have lots more than food and kitchen supplies. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE RD!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
cedstevo
Knows what a fatty is.

[QUOTE=BubbaCoy;2356175]We have memberships to both Sams & Costco. Like others have said, each seems to have a few items that the other does not. Overall, we find Costco to be cleaner, better lit, and better customer service.

What Bubba said. I buy my butts from Sams though. My Costco only sells boneless butts. Oh and my lil sweetie loves the samples @ Costco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
cedstevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I belong to both. If I could only chose one, I would pick Costco. I use my Visa debit card when I make purchases.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #30
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Had Costco, went to SAMs for bone in butts and packers, went back to Costco for the tri tip now I'm in at RD (which ironically doesn't carry tri tip at mine)
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote