MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
NCguyHere
Got Wood.

Default Thawing butts - water or fridge?

I have four butts (2 per pack) frozen solid. I need to smoke one and have it ready at 6pm tomorrow for the in-laws. And then I need to do two of them and have them ready for delivery at 10am Thurs morning. What am I looking at as far as thaw times with water in the sink vs. fridge thawing? Also what do I do about the 4th butt? I'd hate to lose it because of the dethaw process but I gotta get these done Feel like I'm gonna be in a bind with that last butt. My gut tells me I'm just gonna have to smoke it, pull it, and freeze it. Any tips/advice/suggestion is mucho appreciated.
NCguyHere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Caseyjoenz
On the road to being a farker

Fill your bathtub with cold water and thaw them in there, probably about a three hour thaw.

Medium Spicewine
3 WSMs

www.smokincaboose.com
Caseyjoenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Yeah, definitely under water. Frozen solid in the fridge would take 2 or 3 days to thaw.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Assuming they are vacuum packed in plastic, definitely thaw in water.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
NCguyHere
Got Wood.

Thanks guys. Looks like the water thaw is definitely my route. Yeah they are in the vacuum packs.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Jarhead
Knows what a fatty is.

As much as I dislike defrosting in water, I don't think you have much choice.
Hope you got a 2 holer for a sink.
Put 1 pack in each sink filled with cold water. Don't break the cryovac packaging.
Change the water every couple hours or when you think of it.
Check them to see if they will break apart. If they do pack them in ziplock baggies and back into the water until they are defrosted all of the way through.
That is one tight schedule you put yourself on. Hopefully you can get them on the pit around 3 a.m. Save the spare for yourself, pull it, vac pack it and freeze it.
Plenty of time on the other 2.
Good luck.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Like said...thaw in water. But I think you may thawing them for 8 to 10 hours. You may want to start the process in the water and then move them into the fridge over night, or a couple of days. I'd cook the 4th one and refrezze it for later myself.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Scubadoo97
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguyHere View Post
I have four butts (2 per pack) frozen solid. I need to smoke one and have it ready at 6pm tomorrow for the in-laws. And then I need to do two of them and have them ready for delivery at 10am Thurs morning. What am I looking at as far as thaw times with water in the sink vs. fridge thawing? Also what do I do about the 4th butt? I'd hate to lose it because of the dethaw process but I gotta get these done Feel like I'm gonna be in a bind with that last butt. My gut tells me I'm just gonna have to smoke it, pull it, and freeze it. Any tips/advice/suggestion is mucho appreciated.
In a time crunch water is fast but slow thaw in the fridge is safer is you plan ahead.
Scubadoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfgo5...ure=plpp_video

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Hey nc guy have you thought about just buying some new ones? Food lion has them going on sale tomorrow morning. That would solve your fourth butt issue as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
NU2QN
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with the water plan. place all in cool water and replace the water every half hour. Cook the fourth butt, pull and freeze in food saver bags.
Wine Barrel Smoker
Traeger 075
Mystery Metal Egg
NU2QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Donnie's video about 2 minutes in is the ticket.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
NCguyHere
Got Wood.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the bathtub thaw here in just a minute actually. Jeff you're right, Pitmaster T's video was pretty helpful. Although I think the most important lesson is taught at about the 4 minute mark, make sure there is a fresh supply of cold ones

Tarheel I thought about just buying a single butt, but I was able to get a case of eight for 83$ last week Kinda hard for me to go out and spend anymore right now when I know I have them on hand already. I just need to prepare a little more next time. You ever hit Fletcher's BBQ in Gastonia? Used to love that place and all the Tar Heel regalia adorning the walls. Haven't been in years though.