MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanX View Post
Well that's amazing, thanks for all the responses!

BBQ haggis - could be on to a winner there....

I haven't been able to get to the Ugly Drum Smoker yet, because I can't search yet, because I haven't enough posts probably, or have a look at Norcorednecks pics

I definately want to do the pork butts, they're delicious, and no harm in having a few experiments to see if they can be done at higher heat. I think the briskets too, if I can cook them beforehand.

Its about being able to roll up on site with the monster trailer first thing, light up and be ready for 12 - 1 o'clock for service

I guess you can get up to heat pretty quickly. I have two wood stoves here for my house so I'm no stranger to lighting fires.

Regards,

stanX
Welcome Stan

I'm down on the other end of the island from you and we do catering, events, competitions, weddings and so forth. You may already know you need to get with the council and sort out a business license then get on a food safety course.

It's all going to depend on what it is you want to vend as to what sort of cooker you use. I can tell you now that something built only to smoke isn't a good idea as vending is mostly grilling, warming and holding.Your weather is nasty compared to what we get down here so tey and build a cooker that is insulated for those overnight cooks or at least give it a home out of the direct weather.

Rollin' up-
I don't think you will have time on a site to fire up a big offset smoker and be ready to serve in the window you are looking at. Pre cooking is going to be your friend for brisket and pork but chicken,burgers & sausages should be fine.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll fire some more ideas at ya.
Doc

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #17
stanX
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hey Doc,

Greatly appreciate your input there. I take it you do run a BBQ smoker for events? Noted comments about insulating the thing, I take it you've found it difficult to keep up to heat in the wet and windy summertime?

Have booked up for food hygeine course, will call the council in due course about a license. Much would seem to rest on finding some good events to attend.

What I do want is to build something with a bit of WOW so I can get some interest generated by that. I guess I have to look closely at construction. And tailor the cooking to suit.

I presume it must be possible to do a hog roast in a BBQ smoker?

Regards,

stan
stanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is, although there are smokers dedicated to cooking whole hogs. Quite a few of the Brethren have done whole hogs, go to the Q-talk forum and just ask for input on that.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Hey Doc,

Greatly appreciate your input there. I take it you do run a BBQ smoker for events? Noted comments about insulating the thing, I take it you've found it difficult to keep up to heat in the wet and windy summertime?

Have booked up for food hygeine course, will call the council in due course about a license. Much would seem to rest on finding some good events to attend.

What I do want is to build something with a bit of WOW so I can get some interest generated by that. I guess I have to look closely at construction. And tailor the cooking to suit.

Regards,

stan
If you need a pitmaster let me know, I would love to move to the old country. My catering company is "Kilted Pig BBQ" :)
Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #20
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome, stanX! It sounds like you'll need to conquer the wind somewhat before you can cook brisket or pork butts (or any long-duration meat), without getting frustrated. In my experience, cooking in the strong wind requires almost 100% eyes-on cooking which, although not a bad thing, can be tough for someone just starting out. I'd set up some movable wind breaks to allow your pit to breathe consistently, then you can work on your temperature control with one fewer problem.

Now, for something completely different... Since you're up there, do folks ever cook food with peat? I've got no idea what flavor profile smoldering peat would give meat, but I like what it does for whisky!

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #21
Dr_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post

Now, for something completely different... Since you're up there, do folks ever cook food with peat? I've got no idea what flavor profile smoldering peat would give meat, but I like what it does for whisky!

Arlin
Arlin- peat is available over here by a few places that support BBQ,I have some stored away that I intended to cook with some day and never got around to, I'm willing to send you a bit if you want it.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 AM   #22
Dr_KY

Quote:
Hey Doc,

Yes we use to do nearly any event we could get into but that has been slowed way down. After the tough rides we are more focused in what we do as a business. The Meat Beast is excellent in the wind and rain but it was designed to. We didn't add anything fancy just used what was there. It is single skinned like most cookers so there is heat loss but the intake location was key.Not the easiest to get at but it only ever get's adjusted twice.
Quote:
The worst part is most large events have now gone to catering agencies that in turn hire you through them for the event, this means your food prices are going to be through the roof! We thought that the prices like 5 quid for a cheese burger was insane when we can turn out beautiful pork and brisket for that same or a bit less.

Ever wonder why those people vending have that ' I don't want to be here so take this reheated burger and scat' look about them? It's because they have paid something to the tune of 1,500 bones to be there plus the cost of the product and are restricted in what they can sell. On top of that the agency has asked them to submit their prices per item and usually throws another quid on top of it for themselves. Also the vendor must use products and brands that they the agency have links to. This can take your cost up big time if they require you to buy from farmer Alisters Best of Breed All Natural Mountain Side Free Range Socially Committed Livestock where all burgers are hand mad by Tibetan children on Thursday evenings.
Go careful and read the fine print before you agree to work anywhere and remember people at festivals want cheap stodge to get down there gullet and these feativals are not like years ago where beer and a little smoke suited the atmosphere, now days it's more on the chemical side and as you know those that indulge don't tend to eat for days at a time.

It's a must to add a veggie and vegan selection to your menu, remember festivals draw hippies by the thousands over here.

Quote:

Regards,

stan
great idea ! One of my cookers looks like Stevensons Rocket and get's attenion from adults and children alike. I didn't plan it that way so I guess we just got lucky.lol I didn't even know what Stevensons rocket was.

Hog roast are great as the show is where it's at but think about your cost. If you can afford to buy a hog roaster then do it. Build a smoker/grill anyway and use them as separate tools.

We do them by request as a last resort and we seriously charge for them. I try are turn them to using joints rather than a hog, we grab a pigs head from the butcher then smoke and dress it us as a center peace surrounded by the sliced and puled pork.

Hope some of this helps

Doc

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #23
Peadar4BBQB
Found some matches.

Saw this while browsing my favourite topic 'Peat.' By way of a Peat update and introduction for general information, Jim Gallagher was the owner of Irish Smoke, an American and my ex partner, who created Sneaky Peat in 1998 in Donegal, Ireland, where he retired to live.

I bought in on my return from Africa, and we then launched Sneaky Peat (USA) in 1999, which I still own and run. Jim died in 2010, and as a result Irish Smoke no longer exists, although I own the trade marks along with Irish BBQ and Sneaky Peat.

We are dead serious about Peat, have associates in Ireland, UK and Africa and are always happy to forge grand relationships promoting mutual endeavours.

Happy Irish BBQ'ing - T'is the only way - when ye know how!!
Peadar4BBQB is offline   Reply With Quote