Rib Pron: Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy Ribs

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Thought I'd give Harry Soo's rib recipe from his web site a try, found here: http://slapyodaddybbq.com/Recipes.html.
I'm pretty much following it to the letter except for the foil time. 90 minutes in foil is just too long for my tastes, so I'm going to shorten the foil time to 60 minutes. Here is his all purpose rub recipe, which I have doubled:
1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup each of white sugar, brown sugar, paprika and chili powder. 2 TBSP each of cumin, granulated garlic and black pepper, 1 tsp of cayenne.

Trying the pre-cut St.Louis ribs from RD instead of trimming the spares myself. First time using these, I usually buy the spares at Costco.
IMG_0008.jpg

WSM fuel: RO lump, 2 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of cherry.
IMG_0010.jpg

My fuel: Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. Great beer, has a nice hop balance to the overwhelming amount of malt. Served up in my Falcon victory glass; we squeezed out a close one today.
IMG_0016.jpg

Per his recipe, I removed membrane, added rub and let sit in the fridge for an hour before putting them on the smoker. Shooting for a smoker temp of 275 for the entire cook. Spritzing every 30 minutes with apple juice.
IMG_0026.jpg

After two hours, applied a layer of brown sugar and drizzled honey on each side. Added 1/4 cup apple juice, wrapped, and then back in the smoker (bone side up) for an hour.
IMG_0040.jpg

Unwrapped and back on the smoker till done. Total time was about 4 hours, but that includes wrapping and unwrapping.
IMG_0051.jpg

Once they passed the bend and toothpick test, sauced and back on for a quick 10 minutes. Sauce is a mixture of Blue's Hog original and red, plus a little of the imperial stout.
IMG_0057.jpg

All done.
IMG_0072.jpg

Served up with some green bean and tomato casserole.
IMG_0090.jpg

Final verdict: I thought they were pretty darn good, just a tad on the sweet side. The sweetness was probably more a result of the Blue's Hog, as I didn't cut it with as much red as I usually do. I was also afraid of the amount of cumin in the rub, but although the rub had a strong cumin smell, it mellowed a bunch during the cook. I'd also use granulated brown sugar next time, as it was hard to get an even layer using regular brown sugar. I'd give the ribs an 8 out of 10. Had a lot of fun cooking them though!

Last edited:
Nice job Mark, those look great. Think I should try this rub. Isn't it Harry Soo?

Nice job Mark, those look great. Think I should try this rub. Isn't it Harry Soo?

Woops! My dad's name is Henry, must have had some sort of Freudian slip. It's fixed now, thanks for letting me know.
I liked the rub, as I said I was a little worried about the amount of cumin but it mellowed quite a bit during the cook. The sauce I used was too sweet, I should have cut the Blue's Hog with a ton more of the Tennesee Red, it would have been a nice balance to the honey and brown sugar. I'll know next time. I blame the wifey though, she always complains when there is too much Tennesee Red since it has a cayenne and vinegar bite.

I have seen the St Louis cuts at RD but usually the $/lb is so much higher than regular spares so I pass. Do you happen to remember the cost difference in your area and do you think its worth the extra cost? Good looking ribs by the way.

I have seen the St Louis cuts at RD but usually the $/lb is so much higher than regular spares so I pass. Do you happen to remember the cost difference in your area and do you think its worth the extra cost?

The St. Louis cut were $2.89 a pound, which puts them into the BB range. I knew I would be cooking these on Falcon Sunday, so I just didn't want to deal with the trimmings when I could be watching football. These still had the skirt though, plus I trimmed the smallests ribs from each rack, so even though they were pre-cut I had some trimmings I could have smoked along with the ribs.

I can't remember how much the spares are at RD, I think they are around $1.99 a pound, so you do get much more bang for the buck by trimming spares. I was just lazy today. :-D
Twenty bucks for 3 racks still isn't horrible though IMO.

Where do you get Blues Hog in the Kennesaw area. I live in the Cloumbus,Ga area and have been unable to find it,

Where do you get Blues Hog in the Kennesaw area. I live in the Cloumbus,Ga area and have been unable to find it,

I bite the bullet and pay for shipping and get it via mail order by the gallon. I bought mine at the Kansas City BBQ store, although now Great Lakes BBQ Supply (run by a Brethren) has it by the gallon.

Great Lakes BBQ Supply:
http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/...1CFD34C0BF8E2D0B5A7.qscstrfrnt06?categoryId=3

Kansas City BBQ Store:
http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.co...s_id=8&zenid=ca1b15c770184c17fb07cf36aa5e1aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim BBQ

I am actually in that area occasionally and could stop and get some.

Did you just answer your own question? :crazy: :becky:

Edit: nevermind, I see the question you are asking.

Saiko, I think spares at my RD are $1.49 so that is what I have been getting. However, I am at the point where my trimmings rarely get eaten and I have plenty in the freezer for other cooking. So, I guess I need to figure in the weight of what is not getting eaten to see if it offsets the extra cost of the pre-trimmed St Louis cuts.

Harry is the man. I am also a bit surprised to see the 90minute foil. I'll assume that he's sharing a recipe that HE enjoys; not his comp recipe. Your bones look good. Getting my first taste of Blues tomorrow (mail order). Sounds like it's a bit too sweet?

Looks better than wonderful Saiko!! :-D:thumb:

Mmmm, my Man, those look friggin' good:clap2:

Back