Who's Idea Was the Vertical Drum Smoker? UDS/BDS

leanza

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just curious. I've been reading that this Rocky Richmond guy was the first or one of the first to go vertical. He say's he started making them in the year 2000?

I don't think he was the first with the idea by a longshot, I just think he was the first to commercially market a vertical smoker made out of a 55 gallon drum.

There have been folks cooking on them for years, and years. Rocky was the first guy that I can remember going commercial with his BDS.

My great great great grand daddy created them in Texas back before they discovered oil and just had a bunch of metal drums laying around. And meat. Lots of meat laying around. Briskets grew on trees back then and when they were ripe they just fell on the ground.

So one day, Buford (my great great great grand daddy) thought to himself, I'll bet one of those briskets would be good if I cooked them over a fire. So he went and got some of the fire that he had invented the day before and put it in one of those drums. Then he put a stick thru one of those briskets and stretched across the top of the drum and cooked it thus creating Barbecue. Then he took what was left and threw it in a lake and what do you know, cows came walking out of the water.

The people around were so amazed that they decided to name the area after him. Now Buford T. Strawder was a bit of a long name so they just decided to use his middle name, Texas.

So in conclusion, my great great great grand daddy created fire, Barbecue, cooking in vertical drums, cows and Texas.

Really. Look it up.

Why thanks Neil! I figured it had to be in your family evr sense I sau yur Balconey vdeo. Did yr pape give you the on1 in the video? BTW, we thought you didn't post around here no more!

We cooked our ribs on drums at the American Royal back in 91 or 92.
db

My first drum smoker back in 1985....

barrelfire.jpg

Thr "Sawyers" known for there fine wood craftsmanship used to cook in oak barrels before the common steel drum was even created.

ORIGIN AND HISTORY

The name Sawyer is of Old English origin. The name originated as an occupational surname meaning "sawer of wood." A common occupation in early 17th century New England, Sawyer was a title for lumberjacks and anyone whose job involved sawing wood, including through the use of chainsaws. Sawyers very well known for their for drinking out of oak barrels until the wiskey was gone and cooking mediocre meat dishes low and slow using the oak barrels and simple charcoal baskets. The family name often times associated with a line of bull$hit.

Wow, BigMista's response is better than the one I posted in off-topic. I bow down.

My great great great grand daddy created them in Texas back before they discovered oil and just had a bunch of metal drums laying around. And meat. Lots of meat laying around. Briskets grew on trees back then and when they were ripe they just fell on the ground.

So one day, Buford (my great great great grand daddy) thought to himself, I'll bet one of those briskets would be good if I cooked them over a fire. So he went and got some of the fire that he had invented the day before and put it in one of those drums. Then he put a stick thru one of those briskets and stretched across the top of the drum and cooked it thus creating Barbecue. Then he took what was left and threw it in a lake and what do you know, cows came walking out of the water.

The people around were so amazed that they decided to name the area after him. Now Buford T. Strawder was a bit of a long name so they just decided to use his middle name, Texas.

So in conclusion, my great great great grand daddy created fire, Barbecue, cooking in vertical drums, cows and Texas.

Really. Look it up.

I remember that from Texas History class in high school...

:lol::lol::lol:

Since I started mine, I have found all kinds of guys down here who have been using them since the 1960s, so the idea has been around a long time. Some are still using those 1960s barrels today.

I had heard the Big Mista saga before and found it to be gospel. Neil, you forgot to tell them about your great great grandfather that stumbled across gold in CA back 49. Tell that one, I like it even better.:rolleyes:

Back