MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I was thinking about getting a traeger next year........I might go with the SW.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #17
BFoster
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1 View Post
I was thinking about getting a traeger next year........I might go with the SW.

Jeff
Might? Just messing....the SW is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'm not trying to get those boys to buy me a beer either...I promise.

Also, I don't want to come off as a jerk...I had a few beers in me last night. With the mod, I think the Traeger would be a damn fine smoker...it's well built with good metal. It's just not ready for 'prime-time' as it is.

-Brian.
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Smokey Joe 10898 Simpsons Anniversary
Spoooon!

Any time, come on down!
BFoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #18
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your pellets are probably having a lot to do with this. I own a Traeger, Country Smoker, and FEC-100. I've cooked on several models of each. First and foremost, the Traeger pellets are crap!!!! The BTU's are low and the smoke sucks. I've not tried CookingPellets.com, but BBQr's Delight are great. Your fuel makes a lot of the difference. Try the hickory or pecan to start and see if you get a better smoke flavor and a better burn.

Pellet cookers ARE stick burners. Our sticks are just smaller.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #19
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Your pellets are probably having a lot to do with this. I own a Traeger, Country Smoker, and FEC-100. I've cooked on several models of each. First and foremost, the Traeger pellets are crap!!!! The BTU's are low and the smoke sucks. I've not tried CookingPellets.com, but BBQr's Delight are great. Your fuel makes a lot of the difference. Try the hickory or pecan to start and see if you get a better smoke flavor and a better burn.

Pellet cookers ARE stick burners. Our sticks are just smaller.
Thanks Plowboy. You ever use the Fast Eddy pellets? They've got lots of good press in the forum.

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #20
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

And by the way, your Yardbird Rub is awesome!!

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #21
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdano View Post
Thanks Plowboy. You ever use the Fast Eddy pellets? They've got lots of good press in the forum.
Yup. Have several bags here at the house. They are REALLY long. You gotta break them up before you use them in a Traeger grill. Otherwise they can jam in the auger. Awesome smoke though and little ash.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #22
Timmy
Full Fledged Farker

Brian,
Do I get the feeling your going to have a traeger up for sale soon? Let me be first in line if it happens. Anyway I'm trying to get my traeger up and running. I guess I need to do a search on pellets. It looks as though there is some info I need to read.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #23
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Looks like Todd made it here about 15 min before me! I was going to say the same thing. Branch Creek (Epps Farm) pellets rock also, but are harder to find. He's having more and more trouble getting the wood products he needs for production.

I've got this great tool that breaks up the pellets... it's Todd!!! He really likes it when you tell him 1/4" or smaller, and break out the micrometer.

As a side note - how long have you had your 570..... there was a manufacturing flaw, and your paddlewheel might be slipping with the larger pellets. The shaft in the original units auger motor was too short, and caused the paddle wheel to fail. I've never had a problem with mine -- until I used the eddy pellets. They are GREAT pellets for flavor, but they are designed to work well in his style cooker... they are a little "too tough" for the paddle wheel cookers. At any rate, had both my paddle wheels fail, and Todd's did also.... I attribute it to large size, dense pellets. Might be that... so letme know if you need help with it. Where did you get yours? Feldmans? KCK/BBQ Bonanza?

Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #24
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Looks like Todd made it here about 15 min before me! I was going to say the same thing. Branch Creek (Epps Farm) pellets rock also, but are harder to find. He's having more and more trouble getting the wood products he needs for production.

I've got this great tool that breaks up the pellets... it's Todd!!! He really likes it when you tell him 1/4" or smaller, and break out the micrometer.

As a side note - how long have you had your 570..... there was a manufacturing flaw, and your paddlewheel might be slipping with the larger pellets. The shaft in the original units auger motor was too short, and caused the paddle wheel to fail. I've never had a problem with mine -- until I used the eddy pellets. They are GREAT pellets for flavor, but they are designed to work well in his style cooker... they are a little "too tough" for the paddle wheel cookers. At any rate, had both my paddle wheels fail, and Todd's did also.... I attribute it to large size, dense pellets. Might be that... so letme know if you need help with it. Where did you get yours? Feldmans? KCK/BBQ Bonanza?
Got the 570 in mid May this year from Bob @ BBQ Bonanza. Have not had any problem with the wheel as far as I can tell and Bob thought he had changed out all of the bad motors.

Sounds though like I have 300# of pellets that have good flavor but must be broken down to be used in a CS grill. Bummer!

I have tried the Branch Creek (mesquite) and they left a LOT of residue and eventually choked out the fire because of all the ash.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #25
Plowboy

Quote:
I have tried the ... (mesquite)
There's your flavor problem. Blech!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #26
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Got the 570 in mid May this year from Bob @ BBQ Bonanza. Have not had any problem with the wheel as far as I can tell and Bob thought he had changed out all of the bad motors.

Sounds though like I have 300# of pellets that have good flavor but must be broken down to be used in a CS grill. Bummer!

I have tried the Branch Creek (mesquite) and they left a LOT of residue and eventually choked out the fire because of all the ash.
If you have the new motor... and if you got it in May you should - Bob did try to swap them all out of the standard cookers. The Eddy pellets shouldnt have a problem in the CS with the new motor. Used them at least half the season in my Whole Hog until Bobby got rolling with the BBQ'r delight pellets.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #27
jestridge

That why I do straight wood no mechanical part to go wrong. This might sound crazy but I really enjoy night cook getting up and putting wood on I even like cold night or warm night when you can sit out with your cooker. that why I like BBQ.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #28
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
That why I do straight wood no mechanical part to go wrong. This might sound crazy but I really enjoy night cook getting up and putting wood on I even like cold night or warm night when you can sit out with your cooker. that why I like BBQ.
I like using pure wood, too. None of that Kingsford crap for me. That stuff has all kinds of binders and poisons. Lil stick burners rule!!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #29
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
If you have the new motor... and if you got it in May you should - Bob did try to swap them all out of the standard cookers. The Eddy pellets shouldnt have a problem in the CS with the new motor. Used them at least half the season in my Whole Hog until Bobby got rolling with the BBQ'r delight pellets.
Tried the FE pellets all morning. Eratic and inconsistent temperatures. Did rewire the temperature controller's low alarm contact to the hot rod. Good thing because with the FE pellets, the fire went out a couple of times. Emptied the hopper and refilled with bbq delight, unit maintains setpoint within 4 or 5 degrees.

The longer pellets just don't feed at a steady pace. I could hear them breaking against the paddle wheel & housing. My dad is having the same problem on his 570 with them so we're going to give up on the FE pellets. Too bad because they had such good reviews. They're obviously designed for a different feed mechanism. Live & learn, but never give up!!

Appreciate all the good ideas & suggestions.