• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Academy Sports & Outdoors Charcoal Sale

PrinceofQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on a few charcoal sales I saw in the Academy ad today. Sale is from Aug. 25-31.

Kingsford 2-pack 13.9lb bags on sale for $7.49, normally $14.99.

Outdoor Gourmet 16.6lb Charcoal $2.99 a bag, normally $4.99. (Re-branded RO)

B&B 20lb Lump Charcoal $9.99 a bag, normally $14.99.

Seems like some great prices! I plan on picking up some Kingsford and some B&B wood pellets which are re-branded BBQrs Delight Pellets and sell for $9.99 for a 20lb bag (Normal price)

1280464_10151860082961420_1263871993_n.jpg

~Jay Prince

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on B&B lump vs. Royal Oak vs. Cowboy?

I like the B&B oak alot, even better on sale! Royal oak may be a little bit better but not by that much. I hear the new Cowboy stuff is good too, but I didn't like it when i first tried it a few years back.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on a few charcoal sales I saw in the Academy ad today. Sale is from Aug. 25-31.

Kingsford 2-pack 13.9lb bags on sale for $7.49, normally $14.99.

Outdoor Gourmet 16.6lb Charcoal $2.99 a bag, normally $4.99. (Re-branded RO)

B&B 20lb Lump Charcoal $9.99 a bag, normally $14.99.

Seems like some great prices! I plan on picking up some Kingsford and some B&B wood pellets which are re-branded BBQrs Delight Pellets and sell for $9.99 for a 20lb bag (Normal price)

1280464_10151860082961420_1263871993_n.jpg

~Jay Prince
Where do you see or know that "outdoor gourmet" is royal oak? I checked naked whiz and they don't list it on their site. I would like to check it out.

Wish I had an academy sports near me:sad:
Especially when they have a new store opening with the giveaways. My take from the new store, all FREE:

2 t-shirts
Basketball
2 pairs of Wrangler Jeans
Crocs Yukon Sport Clogs
Berkley Fishing Bag (holds 3 plastic boxes)
10x10 E-Z Up
Wolverine Raider Men's MultiShox Contour Welt 6" Work Boots

Can anyone comment on B&B lump vs. Royal Oak vs. Cowboy?

IMHO B&B is better than Royal Oak or Cowboy. Significantly. More dense, fewer small pieces, burns longer, and maybe its my imagination but I think it smells better too. Not that I don't also like RO Lump because I do. I just think that B&B is one level above RO.

I can also vouch for the Outdoor Gourmet briquettes. They are in fact re branded Royal Oak, and I like them better than Kingsford. No petro smell when lighting.

IMHO B&B is better than Royal Oak or Cowboy. Significantly. More dense, fewer small pieces, burns longer, and maybe its my imagination but I think it smells better too. Not that I don't also like RO Lump because I do. I just think that B&B is one level above RO.

I can also vouch for the Outdoor Gourmet briquettes. They are in fact re branded Royal Oak, and I like them better than Kingsford. No petro smell when lighting.

Thank you Q-Dat for the review on outdoor gourmet, you can't beat the price. Personally I'm a lump guy but my son is always looking for a deal on briquettes. Will pass this on to him.

Thank you Q-Dat for the review on outdoor gourmet, you can't beat the price. Personally I'm a lump guy but my son is always looking for a deal on briquettes. Will pass this on to him.

I bought this pile last year at Memorial Day when they were $3.99 buy one get one free so that basically made them $2 per bag. I'm about half way through it with no regrets.

IMAG0939_zps6f7e2674.jpg

Those are piled two deep so its twice as much as it looks! :mrgreen:

I'll be headed the 1.5 miles down the street to pick up my score of outdoor gourmet briqs tomorrow morning.

For anyone who is wondering, the outdoor gourmet "ridge" briqs are very good. Even if they aren't an exact match for royal oak, they are still darn good briqs, and don't stink like kingsford does. Performance wise, I'd say they would also put kf blue to shame as well. Fast lighting, long burning, and plenty of BTUs for a briq product.

On the B&B oak lump, if you want some great lump at a great price, stop by Academy. That is a fantastic deal for quality lump.

Where do you see or know that "outdoor gourmet" is royal oak? I checked naked whiz and they don't list it on their site. I would like to check it out.

The picture below is from Menards website. You will notice that the RO bag in the picture below & the Outdoor Gourmet bag in the picture in my first post above have the same New Ridge Charcoal Logo on them. Plus I did a search on this forum and members mentioned it in some posts and other BBQ forums members posted the same thing. :)

619-3320Charcoal.jpg

Yesterday

Bought the B&B and outdoor gourmet yesterday.
Both are excellent products being sold at a fantastic price.
I use the OG in my Pit Barrel and Tiernan SOB and the lump in the Primo. I mix and match and combine coals frequently. I think this makes the beer taste better.

Bought the B&B and outdoor gourmet yesterday.
Both are excellent products being sold at a fantastic price.
I use the OG in my Pit Barrel and Tiernan SOB and the lump in the Primo. I mix and match and combine coals frequently. I think this makes the beer taste better.

That's great to know! I'll have to pick up some of the OG to use in my PBC then. Can't beat that cheap of a price on charcoal. :)

~Jay Prince

Back