• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Myron Mixons books

Everyday has some of his Smokin stuff, but it mainly focuses on sides and what to do with leftovers, etc.

I own both books, Smokin' is based on stuff he cooks in competition. Whole pork shoulders, whole hog etc. Everyday BBQ is more of a collection of recipes that do not require the time and commitment to prepare, stuff you could make for dinner in a few hours. I have to be honest tho, ive tried a few of his recipes and im not really a fan. Now, I use his books as more of an idea and then make it my own.

I have both, an yes i too use them as ideas/reading material. You have to watch the ingredient list there is missing/wrong ingredients. Like if you make his corn bread frisbee

Buy it as more of a magazene than a cookbook

Buy it as more of a magazene than a cookbook

I agree on Smokin anyway

I bought it just to read it, the recipes are pretty out there. I have done a few but thats it.

I bought a few books I like a lot more, like Smoke and Spice, Big Bob Gibsons BBQ Book, Ray Lampe's Dr BBQ Big Time BBQ Cookbook and Peace, Love and BBQ

I really like Ray Lampe

I like Smokin and use some of the recipes fairly often. I used Chris Lilly's book a lot more though.

Everyday is kind of a drag. I'm far from a pro, but it's way too dumbed down.

I like Smokin and use some of the recipes fairly often. I used Chris Lilly's book a lot more though.

I agree with this completely. Smokin' is a good starting point for recipes, but he is clearly leaving ingredients out. Also, I question some of his recommended "panning" timings/techniques. Lily's book is still #1 overall IMO.

I agree with this completely. Smokin' is a good starting point for recipes, but he is clearly leaving ingredients out. Also, I question some of his recommended "panning" timings/techniques. Lily's book is still #1 overall IMO.

It's a good strategy. Try recipe, be depressed that it doesn't work, spend 750 at his school to get the "real" recipe :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's a good strategy. Try recipe, be depressed that it doesn't work, spend 750 at his school to get the "real" recipe :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's BS. If he wants to put his name on that sh!!, he deserves all the bashing he receives. People pay hard earned money for these books and then end up with piss poor recipes. It's a sham and he should be ashamed.

I am on the other side of the fence than all of the others in this thread are on 'ole Myron's books. I like them.

I too own both of the books but prefer "Smokin" over "Everyday BBQ" becasue "Smokin" is more about competition style and the other is just a fairly run-of-the-mill recipe book of things to cook on a grill.

The reason I am on the other side of the fence is becasue I actually followed Myron's recipe to the letter for St. Louis style ribs a couple of weeks ago and the results were outstanding.

I went through every step in the process including marinating the ribs, using his recipe for rub, used his glaze, used his spritz every 15 minutes for a couple of hours and even cooked them in a pan. I even used his favorite wood (peach) for smoke.

I followed the recipe exactly as they appear in the book because I wanted to see if all of his mouthing on BBQ Pitmasters had any substance. As it turns out, in my opinion the results were definitely there.

Love Myron or hate him, the guy knows how to cook. And for those folks that are expecting him to give up his exact recipes, that is NEVER going to happen and if you read the book closely, Myron doesn't try to hide the fact that the recipes in the book are in fact different than what he uses when he is in competition.

Remember folks, competing is how Myron makes a good portion of his living and he is not going to print the keys to the kingdom for everyone to use. He is also not going to give up the real recipes at his cooking school even for the $750 bucks. They might be different than what is in the books but they won't be what he really uses.

And finally, as one of the other people in this thread pointed out, you have to be careful with some of the recipes becasue there are a couple of printing mistakes that I ran into. The one glaring error is that his basic rub calls for 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper when it should have clearly been 2 teaspoons.

I hope this helps!!!

I am on the other side of the fence than all of the others in this thread are on 'ole Myron's books. I like them.

I too own both of the books but prefer "Smokin" over "Everyday BBQ" becasue "Smokin" is more about competition style and the other is just a fairly run-of-the-mill recipe book of things to cook on a grill.

The reason I am on the other side of the fence is becasue I actually followed Myron's recipe to the letter for St. Louis style ribs a couple of weeks ago and the results were outstanding.

I went through every step in the process including marinating the ribs, using his recipe for rub, used his glaze, used his spritz every 15 minutes for a couple of hours and even cooked them in a pan. I even used his favorite wood (peach) for smoke.

I followed the recipe exactly as they appear in the book because I wanted to see if all of his mouthing on BBQ Pitmasters had any substance. As it turns out, in my opinion the results were definitely there.

Love Myron or hate him, the guy knows how to cook. And for those folks that are expecting him to give up his exact recipes, that is NEVER going to happen and if you read the book closely, Myron doesn't try to hide the fact that the recipes in the book are in fact different than what he uses when he is in competition.

Remember folks, competing is how Myron makes a good portion of his living and he is not going to print the keys to the kingdom for everyone to use. He is also not going to give up the real recipes at his cooking school even for the $750 bucks. They might be different than what is in the books but they won't be what he really uses.

And finally, as one of the other people in this thread pointed out, you have to be careful with some of the recipes becasue there are a couple of printing mistakes that I ran into. The one glaring error is that his basic rub calls for 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper when it should have clearly been 2 teaspoons.

I hope this helps!!!

My favorite from his Smokin book is the Apple Bacon Stuffed Checken Breasts.

I am making them for a party on Sat

How about edible? There are numerous recipes that are not edible.

You might want to look at his winnings for the last few years. If he can come out ahead with those winnings... he should try restaurants again for the fourth time.

How benevolent of you to call them typos. What you have is a series of flawed recipes that will result in failure if followed. (glad you found one of the "good" ones)

How about edible? There are numerous recipes that are not edible.

You might want to look at his winnings for the last few years. If he can come out ahead with those winnings... he should try restaurants again for the fourth time.

How benevolent of you to call them typos. What you have is a series of flawed recipes that will result in failure if followed. (glad you found one of the "good" ones)

Where can I buy your cookbook?
I bet it is perfect and I want one. 8)

Also, where can I review your winnings for the last few years? I am sure you are swimming in cash. 8)

And your successful restaurant (maybe I missed it) is located where? I really want to eat there. 8)

Just Curious. 8)

TIM

I believe a man can never have enough BBQ cookbooks. Everyone one I own has an interesting technique, marinade, spice, sides, etc. that I can use and maybe integrate into my BBQ for a different twist.

Where can I buy your cookbook?
I bet it is perfect and I want one. 8)
I have yet to do anything perfect and never claimed to (nice spin, I say edible and you say perfect). However, I have wrote numerous white papers and technical documents. I stand behind every one.
Also, where can I review your winnings for the last few years? I am sure you are swimming in cash. 8)
The statement this references was not an attack on Myron, it was an against the idea that the bad recipes are a way to keep him winning (illuminate the logical fallacy). No one expects his comp recipes, but they do deserve better than the poor ones on offer.
And your successful restaurant (maybe I missed it) is located where? I really want to eat there. 8)

Just Curious. 8)

TIM

This is the funny one. I sold it ten years ago at a handsome profit. Keep your hat on for the next one. Gathering resources as we speak and actually offered on a property, but do not expect this one to happen.

My statements were not ad hominem (except the cheap shot about the restaurants, on good days I am better than that, I do regret that) yours however are. BUT that's okay. Really.

Have you cooked any of the recipes or are you just a fan? The book really is the topic for me.

I like Smokin'. I did his cupcake chicken and it came out great

Back