My wife did the unthinkable Sunday night!

erbeman

Knows what a fatty is.
So this weekend was her bday and I planned a surprise bday party and smoked ribs and a brisket. I fed everyone with the flat and kept the point for us. We had a lot of leftover sides and such so we decided earlier in the day that everyone was on their own for dinner. The rub I put together ended up being pretty spicy and my wife is a weenie when it comes to heat. So when she was in the kitchen warming up leftovers I told her that I had gotten her some sweet bbq sauce and it's in the door of the fridge. This is when she did the unthinkable. She replied back, oh it's ok, I made a sandwich with the brisket and I've already put mayonnaise on it. I was like WTH!!! You did what to my brisket? She said, oh was I not supposed to do that? In my house, I taught my kids to be BBQ purists. we eat brisket with our hands and we sure don't use sauce or put it on bread. My wife uses a fork and puts damn mayo on a brisket sandwich! I need to get her help.

Did she enjoy it?

Then no big deal.

There's no such thing as a BBQ "purist" because there's no "right" way to do BBQ. Everybody does it their own way.

You're from TX, you should know that BBQ is eaten with a plastic fork and knife off butcher paper. :)

So this weekend was her bday and I planned a surprise bday party and smoked ribs and a brisket. I fed everyone with the flat and kept the point for us. We had a lot of leftover sides and such so we decided earlier in the day that everyone was on their own for dinner. The rub I put together ended up being pretty spicy and my wife is a weenie when it comes to heat. So when she was in the kitchen warming up leftovers I told her that I had gotten her some sweet bbq sauce and it's in the door of the fridge. This is when she did the unthinkable. She replied back, oh it's ok, I made a sandwich with the brisket and I've already put mayonnaise on it. I was like WTH!!! You did what to my brisket? She said, oh was I not supposed to do that? In my house, I taught my kids to be BBQ purists. we eat brisket with our hands and we sure don't use sauce or put it on bread. My wife uses a fork and puts damn mayo on a brisket sandwich! I need to get her help.

A roast beef sandwich with Mayo is one of my most favorite sandwiches, probably close to second to a Pastrami Reuben. I don't see how the mayo conflicted with any of the flavors of the brisket; it's just mainly oil and a little acid & salt--there's hardly any egg in it. I bet it was one extremely special and delicious birthday sandwich considering her hubby probably barbecued it extremely well. Have you ever tried brisket in a sandwich before?

Some people don't like mayo; my boyfriend Jeff won't eat it on anything.

Man, I would have never thought so many folks would eat brisket this way. It would have never even crossed my mind to put mayo on brisket, or horseradish. Maybe I'm the weird one! She did love it. Haha

You need professional help to overcome the BBQ snobbery. I eat Brisket samiches all the time & sometimes with a dollop of Dukes jalapeno slices cheese & mustard. Hell I have even had some Roxy's mustard sauce on it a few times, You might be surprised if you get help. I eat it like a Cave man with the flatware I came equipped with at birth:mrgreen:

The funny thing is I don't mind bread, sides and condiments (I traveled 4-5 days a week for work for many years and covered KC, Memphis and both Carolinas). I just don't use any of that stuff unless someone else has already applied it to my meal. :-D

If the brisket sammie made her happy then that's all that matters...:thumb:

Remember... if mommas not happy then nobody is happy!!

When we got our first legit bbq joint back in L'brg VA we were purists with their East Carolina style PP. On or off the bun with vinegar slaw and EC sauce. Anything else was sacrilege. Now with a freezer full of Q I'm constantly experimenting with new and unusual ways of using it. Free your mind your ass will follow. :dancer:

Back