Brisket Pricing

Capn Kev

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I found this absolutely hilarious this afternoon while grocery shopping with the daughter. Apparently the meat cutters weren't so amused as I was laughing out loud and taking a picture...

$4.99/lb. at Safeway for a SELECT grade flat. I can get a full Choice at Sam's for $1.98/lb. right now. I can also get PRIME for less than $4.99 if I order it Who do these guys think they're kidding??????

Attachments

• brisketSafeway.jpg
    brisketSafeway.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 145
Same deal out here. A lady was picking up a brisket "she ordered" from our local $afeway and I overheard the guy say how much. She shelled out over 65 bucks:shock:.
I go down the road a mile and pay 1.99 a lb at smart n final or hit up costco.

i just paid 28 .79 for a 16 lb packer at smart and final thats 1.70 a lb

Yowch, that's crazy! There's local supermarkets around here that sell loin back ribs for $6 /lb... some people just don't shop around I guess. :-/

Brisket is one tough cut of meat. I never pay more than $2/lb, and I doubt that you could tell much difference between choice and prime brisket (or whatever Ranchers Reserve means.) Besides, the whole point of my slow smoked BBQ is to make a "less tender" cut of meat taste like your first meal in heaven, and "less tender" cuts tend to have more robust flavor. I like to call the above example "Snob Marketing". That means you convince a consumer that doesn't know any better to feel good about paying "more for less". That woman that paid $65 for a brisket could have saved half of her money, and still been ripped off, if she just waited a week and purchased the store's over priced hamburger made with the Rancher's Reserve briskets that didn't sell.

Last edited:
Pricing at Safeway over the past few years feels like the ol' frog in the pot of boiling water deal - I don't get it.

Back