**Pump Sprayer with prototype multiple needle injector**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Knucklehead BBQ gave me one of his Pump Sprayer Injectors to test out and I finally was able to give it a go Labor Day weekend to inject an 80 lb. pig!

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

I mixed up a batch of Chris Lilly's Shoulder Injection, strained it and the pump sprayer worked like a dream!

IMG_4213.jpg

Ryan's dad, B-O-B called me a couple days earlier and asked if I was interested in testing a little gizmo to go with the pumper - Hell Yeah! I'm in!

IMG_4214.jpg

The needles are spaced 1/2" and it pumped up the piggy like a football!

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

We cooked the pig on the La Caja China and it turned out great. The Pump Sprayer Injector was the way to go on this cook! B-O-B's multiple needle injector was easy to use and clean, the needles screw into the syringe tips that are pressed into the block handle.

At first I was skeptical, but Ryan and B-O-B are fanatics and took all my critiques and are working to tweak it.

Ryan pointed out the drawbacks he encountered with the No Cents type he had made, and found this pump with a universal adjustable nozzle that felt good in the hand and was great for Right or Left handers. My Butcher said it looked like a "stitch injector".

What do you all think? Lets heat it!

Pump sprayer injector looks like a winner to me. Not so sure about the multiple needle injector, seems like overkill and wondering about longevity. Great idea though, I just wouldn't need something like that. I could see this being useful to those who do a high volume of whole pigs or large cuts of meat.

It looks like it made things easier for you.....but don't forget those sprayers are not
intended to be used in culinary applications, and may be leeching toxic chemicals into
the food, as they are not FDA approved.

Wow Brian! Looks like you had some fun! Heckuva trial run too!
Did you have to re-fill the injector at all, or was one batch enough for that piggy?

It looks like it made things easier for you.....but don't forget those sprayers are not
intended to be used in culinary applications, and may be leeching toxic chemicals into
the food, as they are not FDA approved.

Thats a great point, I'm glad you mentioned it!

True, while they aren't intended for culinary use, the white #2 plastic used for the tank is on par with food grade plastic used in culinary applications, but that isn't enough for me, each sprayer that I make for injecting gets completely disassembled (including the guts of the pump, connectors, hoses...), soaked in hot soapy water for a couple of hours, and then scrubbed inside & out with a bottle brush to remove any residues and (more importantly) any remaining non-food grade lubricant (they put the stuff everywhere!).

Then it all gets a hot rinse, put back together and lubed with FDA & NSF approved silicone grease. Then I run at least 3 tanks of water through the whole system to make sure everything was rinsed well enough.

With all of those factors, I can confidently say that blue bag k is gonna kill you before your injection sitting in this thing for a few min does!! :p :heh: :boxing:

Wow Brian! Looks like you had some fun! Heckuva trial run too!
Did you have to re-fill the injector at all, or was one batch enough for that piggy? :p :heh: :boxing:

I used about 1.5 Qts of injection and didn't need to refill the tank. A longer needle would have been nice, but I know thats something you are working on. Bill wanted to use his Morton Brine Pump on the pig, and even he was impressed with the sprayer!

Looks cool! I have a couple ?'s or suggestions. As for the multi needle injector, I like the idea, but it looks a bit cumbersome to handle the bottle, the trigger, and the attachment. Maybe if it was one solid piece and you could just stab the meat with one downward stroke like you would with a single needle it would make it more convenient.
Maybe thicker needles so that unstrained liquid could be used. I know some of the regular syringe types have at least two large openings in the needle to allow the bits and pieces in the injection to pass also. Since you strained yours, it looks like the was able to do its job nicely.
Lastly, how much air pressure did you need to build up in the tank to keep adequate pressure in it at all times to force the injection out? Seems you would need to keep it continuously charged at max level to force the liquid out. Did it seem as though the sheer mass of the meat kept the injection from coming out?
Cool ideas!

Bob

True, while they aren't intended for culinary use, the white #2 plastic used for the tank is on par with food grade plastic used in culinary applications,

Unfortunately the "White #2 Plastic" used for the tank is not food grade
and "Is not approved by the FDA and is not recommended for use with food."

The words above in italics are a direct quote from a customer service
representative from the manufacturer of the spray pump.

If anyone wants to contact the manufacturer to ask them questions about
their products...here is the info.

Root-Lowell Manufacturing Co.
1000 Foreman Road · P.O. Box 289
Lowell, MI 49331-0289 U.S.A.
Phone: 616-897-9211 · Fax: 616-897-8223
Customer Service Phone: 800-748-0098 · Fax: 800-968-3555
Consumer Hotline: 800-253-4642

http://www.rlflomaster.com/default.htm

Looks cool! I have a couple ?'s or suggestions. As for the multi needle injector, I like the idea, but it looks a bit cumbersome to handle the bottle, the trigger, and the attachment. Maybe if it was one solid piece and you could just stab the meat with one downward stroke like you would with a single needle it would make it more convenient.
Maybe thicker needles so that unstrained liquid could be used. I know some of the regular syringe types have at least two large openings in the needle to allow the bits and pieces in the injection to pass also. Since you strained yours, it looks like the was able to do its job nicely.
Lastly, how much air pressure did you need to build up in the tank to keep adequate pressure in it at all times to force the injection out? Seems you would need to keep it continuously charged at max level to force the liquid out. Did it seem as though the sheer mass of the meat kept the injection from coming out?
Cool ideas!

Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob! I can see that the debate over the food grade worries will deteriorate this thread faster than cooking on Galvanized grates!

The block could use a handle to grip easier, but it wasn't cumbersome or slippery with the rubber gloves like I thought it would be. It required very little pressure to keep it pumping, at one point I squirted it across the room and all it took was a quick squeeze of the handle.

I agree, that it does need thicker needles, and I'd like them spaced farther apart. BOB was thinking along the lines of it being great for Briskets (WTH is he anyway?)

The injector without the "stitch pump" works great, I've never used the Morton Brine Pump but it seems a lot easier to use and can be done with one hand.

I am not selling or endorsing this but merely showing off how it worked for me. When Ryan gave it to me I was skeptical and wondered when or if I'd have a use for it, and when I did it worked like he described. BOB is an inventor and I don't know how many Rib-O-Lator prototypes he made before I ran into him and got psyched on it and posted my pics of it in action, and the needle block may not be for everyone (including myself) but it is unique and I figured what better place than here to showcase it. He better make himself one because I'm keeping it!

it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that express health concerns about products used, but have probably never sanitized their own cooking prep areas or even take common precautions in there own food prepping. i am not pointing fingers at anybody, but imo the topic of FDA approved and some of the other abitrary health issues is quite commical.

it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that express health concerns about products used, but have probably never sanitized their own cooking prep areas or even take common precautions in there own food prepping. i am not pointing fingers at anybody, but imo the topic of FDA approved and some of the other abitrary health issues is quite commical.

I guess I disagree; as I do not find food safety and/or health concerns comical.

Last edited:
Okay, we aren't going around this merry go round. Yes, it can be improved by using Food Grade plastics. Let's leave it at that. That's a given. I'm sure they will make that improvement. Let's focus on the mechanics and making those better.
Thanks,
Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob! I can see that the debate over the food grade worries will deteriorate this thread faster than cooking on Galvanized grates!

The block could use a handle to grip easier, but it wasn't cumbersome or slippery with the rubber gloves like I thought it would be. It required very little pressure to keep it pumping, at one point I squirted it across the room and all it took was a quick squeeze of the handle.

I agree, that it does need thicker needles, and I'd like them spaced farther apart. BOB was thinking along the lines of it being great for Briskets (WTH is he anyway?)

The injector without the "stitch pump" works great, I've never used the Morton Brine Pump but it seems a lot easier to use and can be done with one hand.

I am not selling or endorsing this but merely showing off how it worked for me. When Ryan gave it to me I was skeptical and wondered when or if I'd have a use for it, and when I did it worked like he described. BOB is an inventor and I don't know how many Rib-O-Lator prototypes he made before I ran into him and got psyched on it and posted my pics of it in action, and the needle block may not be for everyone (including myself) but it is unique and I figured what better place than here to showcase it. He better make himself one because I'm keeping it!

i figured i wasn't going to get it back so i made another one. my original idea was to make injecting in a one inch grid pattern easier. it seems for an amateur injector like myself, after i would pull the needle out it would leave the goo that squirted out of the injection site and i would lose track of how far apart i was injecting. i know your supposed to wipe after you pull the needle, what next, am i going to have to start puttin band aids on it to?

with the multi-needle block it would make doing a grid pattern allot easier and more consistent and don't forget faster.

and as far as the plastic i'm all for safety but i think the aluminum we wrap our food in with all the acidic juices and heating it to 300+ temp will kill us first or at least give us Alzheimer so we won't remember.

and don't forget about all the meat we eat, plugged arteries, colon cancer, gas, lots of gas. lets face it, there are about a dozen + things we do or eat that's racing to see what can kill us first. my stupidity is in a strong lead.

i was going to say something else but now i forget.
(stupid aluminum/plastic)

This is what came to mind about a way to improve the multi tip injector. I never thought the blow dryer my wife has would ever cross into BBQ! It took a while to find and figure out what the he!! it's called. Borrow an idea from the hair industry!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Tools-P...539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5addfb6beb

This design would be more stable and allow the stabbing action like you have with a single needle.

This is what came to mind about a way to improve the multi tip injector. I never thought the blow dryer my wife has would ever cross into BBQ! It took a while to find and figure out what the he!! it's called. Borrow an idea from the hair industry!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Tools-P...539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5addfb6beb

This design would be more stable and allow the stabbing action like you have with a single needle.

i will make one tomorrow. WAIT... what am i making tomorrow oh-ya bacon and eggs but why am i telling you that... stupid plastic ... i knew the kid was tryin to kill me....wait.... i have kids....i need more aluminum based deodorant, i'm starting to remember things. (note to self) must get hair dryer to inject meat.

do i use the high or low setting? i told you stupidity is in the lead!

i will make one tomorrow. WAIT... what am i making tomorrow oh-ya bacon and eggs but why am i telling you that... stupid plastic ... i knew the kid was tryin to kill me....wait.... i have kids....i need more aluminum based deodorant, i'm starting to remember things. (note to self) must get hair dryer to inject meat.

do i use the high or low setting? i told you stupidity is in the lead!

:heh: Wouldn't it work if you made the same attachment, but put the female end on top of the needles instead of to the side of em?

I think he means the injector needles are (in the photo) offset at 90* to the handle, but it may be easier to use if it were 0* offset.

I think...??? :wink:

Back