New Mini under way...

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, my local repair shop gave me a 16-gallon drum for free. Had to buy the Smokey Joe. Bought some aluminum flat bar to make sturdier legs for the mini. I am taking the lid (which snaps on tight to the Smokey Joe) and adjusting it for a snug fit; then I'll leave a 1/2" inside edge to the cover and the barrel will sit snuggly inside the lid.

Right now, I just have everybody'f favorite...FIRE!:

5cadc441.jpg

30858165.jpg

Here's an update.

This was a lot of fun to crank out the last two days. Considering that I picked up the barrel yesterday, not bad that it's ready to cook today.

Here's the barrel with the Rutland rope around the bottom edge:

574f7398.jpg

WHile that was drying, I cured the paint on the 3/8" rim to support the barrel inside the bottom of the Smokey Joe:

f9937bb0.jpg

Here's the little one warming up:

4a04b4f1.jpg

And...a close-up of the rope in action:

63a679d9.jpg

My B-I-L and I are fabricating sturdier legs from aluminum bar this weekend.

Whew!

Interesting build... I like it.
Ya know if you used the old lid as the bottom it would be shorter and just as easy to clean without being as top heavy.

Thanks, Doc. I did consider that. With this working like a WSM (somewhat), I'm feeling pretty good about the cleaning. The old lid snapped on to the SJ bottom to give me that 3/8" lip.

I'm a newb, but that little unit looks "highly functional" to me.

More ideas for me. Thanks!

That there is one tall mini!! I like it! :becky:

Is your plan to use two cooking racks uds-style? Any thought toward adding a diffuser/water pan?

Nice! You are gonna love cooking on a Mini!

Waiting to see the leg mod, the SJS legs are gonna be too flimsy for the height and weight of any meats as is.

I have another barrel that I was thinking of donating to the cause, except instead of removing the bottom, I was planning to cut it at the rib, so it would seat into the Smokey Joe. Then use the remaining cylinder for a rotisserie ring....hey, its how I roll!

Waiting to see the leg mod, the SJS legs are gonna be too flimsy for the height and weight of any meats as is.

I have another barrel that I was thinking of donating to the cause, except instead of removing the bottom, I was planning to cut it at the rib, so it would seat into the Smokey Joe. Then use the remaining cylinder for a rotisserie ring....hey, its how I roll!

rib-o-lating on a mini!! :-D:-D

exactly what i wanna do for my mini...:thumb:

very interesting, I got a smokey Joe that is just to small for anything, it would be perfect for this project.

thanks for sharing!

Two Racks

That there is one tall mini!! I like it! :becky:

Is your plan to use two cooking racks uds-style? Any thought toward adding a diffuser/water pan?

Yes, it does have two racks. Since I don't anticipate too many overnight smokes at the camper (the wife won't let me put a 55 gallon smoker on the trailer deck), I will use smaller charcoal loads, so I am less concerned about the 24" rule. I anticipate room for ABTs, MOINK balls, fatties, smaller butts (the WSM style will allow quick reloading of lump if needed), ribs, chicken.

I kept the original SJ air intake wheel, so I have to play with it to dial in temps.

Here is the mod I am basing mine off of: http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm. I won't add height, but I do intend to use sturdier material for the legs. My B-I-L designs utility trailers, so I'm sure he'll tweak something somewhere.

After we mod the legs, I will of course have to reward my brother with MOINK balls or a fatty in a quick test smoke.

very interesting, I got a smokey Joe that is just to small for anything, it would be perfect for this project.

thanks for sharing!

This is exactly the attitude I regarding the Smokey Joe. I had a couple laying around and never cooked on one, ended up building a Mini 1427 BDS Clone, and played with it for awhile (still have it) but until I got the Cajun Bandit Mini, and started cooking on it, I've knocked out some awesome meals. It is a Reverse Sear Machine!

This is exactly the attitude I regarding the Smokey Joe. I had a couple laying around and never cooked on one, ended up building a Mini 1427 BDS Clone, and played with it for awhile (still have it) but until I got the Cajun Bandit Mini, and started cooking on it, I've knocked out some awesome meals. It is a Reverse Sear Machine!

The boys say they are putting the finishing touches on the Bandit mini.

OK...here's the leg mod. Keep in mind that I teach high school English, so I do not have the mad fab skills of some on the list. I avoided every shop class in high school (Why don't they tell you that those will be the most important classes you'll ever take!!! If I knew how to weld, think of what I could do.). If I could do it all over.....

But enough of that. Let's get to some photos:

c8d0726a.jpg

49faf448.jpg

The 1 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar cost me an additional $18 at Menards. For less that a buck I got three SS machine screws, washers and nuts. About three hours of fab work as I figured out angles (I can grade an essay in 15 minutes).

It is VERY sturdy.

Back