MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Blowing smoke up my butt... and wings (pr0n!)

Howdy brethren.

So, now that my UDS temps are more stable after the foiled rim mod, and to test out the extended range mod on my et-73, I decided to do a 5# pork butt overnight for some pulled pork. Dusted with rub and injected with apple juice and rub the night before. Started up around 9:30ish Fri night, was done at around 5:30am - did not foil or flip, fat cap stayed down. Sat morning. Let the drum go at about 200 until 9ish in the morning (so I could catch some z's) then threw on the white sauce wings for about an hour at 350. Both items were fabulous, especially the pulled pork on an onion sandwich roll. No sauce added to the pulled pork, so that I can try different sauces.

The wings were a hybrid recipe - mayo, magic blue bottle, worcestershire sauce, rub, ranch dressing, pepper, and garlic powder. They were crispy and tasty!

A few ?'s:
1) Went to bed about 1am, with the drum cruising at about 240 for the past couple of hours. Expected the butt to take around 12 hrs. The et-73 chirped at 5:30am - butt was done, but the temp had risen to 270+. I had thought the temp would fall a bit since the coals might get choked with some ash, but the opposite happened. No biggie - things turned out ok in the end.

2) Are there any preferred instruments for shredding/pulling butts? My 2 forks worked ok, but they seemed kinda small for the task at hand.

3) How do I add captions for each individual pic when I post a thread?

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4084.jpg (66.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4086.jpg (40.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4096.jpg (50.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4098.jpg (30.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4099.jpg (87.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4102.jpg (91.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4089.jpg (49.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4091.jpg (60.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 Sept 18 wings.jpg (7.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4103.jpg (104.5 KB, 103 views)
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post

2) Are there any preferred instruments for shredding/pulling butts? My 2 forks worked ok, but they seemed kinda small for the task at hand.
There are handy tools called bear claws that work well for shredding. Personally, I have a pair of gloves from the hardware store that are temp/chemical resistant. I use them to handle the meat when its hot and messy. When it comes to pulled pork, I can usually just "massage" the meat and it shreds on its own. Then again, I usually cook butts well past 205 and let them rest for a few hours (grab a beer at the bar mod).

Edit: I guess they are called Bear Paws.

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paws-D333.../dp/B0002Y14M2

Last edited by colonel00; 09-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Wrong name
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
1) Went to bed about 1am, with the drum cruising at about 240 for the past couple of hours. Expected the butt to take around 12 hrs. The et-73 chirped at 5:30am - butt was done, but the temp had risen to 270+. I had thought the temp would fall a bit since the coals might get choked with some ash, but the opposite happened. No biggie - things turned out ok in the end.

I've had this happen too. I always figured it was from the eventual lighting of more coals. With the minion method, you may start out with say 25 hot briq's added onto your pile. As one lights 2 more, eventually it may lead to 60 lit briq's burning at once, all at different stages (some just lit, some nearly out, etc). I'd say that it just happens. Your drum may "ebb and flow" a bit, up 20d, down 15d throughout the cook. Happens.

Bear Claws. I bought some from Big Brother Smoke online. Google "bear claws pulled pork" and you'll see them. Best things ever.

3) How do I add captions for each individual pic when I post a thread?

I use the when posting, and just put text in between each photo. I just have to use that for every pic, but that's how I've always done it.

My opinions in blue.

Good lookin' food bro!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Very nice butt there. Great colour!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the tips colonel00 and Wampus.Will look into the Bear Paws/Claws.

SmokinAussie - first ever compliment on the color of my butt!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the tips colonel00 and Wampus.Will look into the Bear Paws/Claws.

SmokinAussie - first ever compliment on the color of my butt!
When I was a boater, they used to call me white Axx, I think I would prefer that to yellow Axx. What do ya think?

Btw, you DO have a nice colored butt.