need help in my first comp

bb262

Found some matches.
Reaction score
is there a reason most people use st.louis style ribbs instead of babby back, i perfer bbaby backs and would rather use them but notice most people use st.louis style ribbs. also looking for ideas for grillers choice. thanks

Generally speaking, St Louis spares are more a KCBS thing, and BB's are more of an
MBN thing. It has more to do with the expectations of the judges, IMHO.

I do well in ribs, I always cook loin backs, I'm in the heart of a very tough KCBS area.

As my buddy Smokedelic says, cook what you cook best...

I think alot of it has to do with the fact that there is alot more meat on a sparerib as opposed to a babyback. At the judges tent.. everyone wants a big meaty rib... you just don't get that with a babyback.

Spares are a little more forgiving in some ways. I think a well cooked spare presents a little better as well, just because of the size.

The biggest reason I've heard for using spares is that they are flatter and present better (The don't roll over as much), but plenty of ppl seem to get good presentation scores with loin ribs.

dmp

i think spares have a better flavor then baby backs, due to the fat content

I've had a top 10 finish in almost all of my comps this year using BBs...cook 'em right and make 'em taste good and you'll score well.

If you prefer loin backs, can get good ones and cook them well, then go with it.

This is one area where I've not seen judges (as a whole) show any preference in scoring. The main trick is to get good quality racks. In my area we have better luck finding meaty, straight boned spares than BBs, but I've judged some really thick loin ribs with plenty of pork chop meat on them.

Either type of ribs can reward an accomplished cook with a 180.

Back