MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Big Dog
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Thinking About Doing My First Comp

So I brought up the idea to a buddy of mine and we were thinking about doing a competition near us in about 3 weeks.

So I was wondering how hard it is do to one of these things for a first timer. I've always wanted to compete and so has he so we definitely want to try some time, but he's concerned that we don't have enough time to prepare.

Lastly, in order to compete in a KCBS event, do you have to be a member or registered team with the KCBS? I figured if I do I should probably do it sooner than later.

Thanks for the help!
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I just completed my first last month. I did it all by myself and my wife ran the boxes. If you do a couple full practices you will be able to do it easy enough but I wouldn't attempt it without full practices.

Good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
bam
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with a full practice to get the timing down. No you don't need to be a kcbs member to compete.Go for it.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Big Dog

Awesome, thanks so much for the help, hopefully we won't do too bad!
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

be sure to have fun!!!

good luck!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

But you read A LOT here.
Plus you have some good teachers. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I just completed my first last month. I did it all by myself and my wife ran the boxes. If you do a couple full practices you will be able to do it easy enough but I wouldn't attempt it without full practices.

Good luck!
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

definately go for it. here's what i learned after my first. do at LEAST 1 full practice for sure so you're familiar with all the steps you need to take and when. take notes. do not skip ANYTHING in prep or presentation. you'll get fatigued after the rib turn in. keep your foot on the pedal and stay focused. don't have too too too many beers while watching you're blue smoke on saturday night. do everything 1 day BEFORE you have it scheduled. i.e get/prep meat, pack truck, make sauce/rubs, etc. i was up till 1am friday cuz everything didn't fall into place perfectly then drive 4 hours @ 7 in the morning saturday to the comp. that hurt unnecessarily. make sure everyhting fits in the vehicle. there is a long list of this and that that you will need. gather them now.
that is what i learned.
what i did.....? was have alot of fun putting my que on the table and meeting a few good folks.
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
markpmc
Knows what a fatty is.

My post is another 'what he said post'. The turn in times are not flexible. You simply must realize that you're cooking for the judges on the judges schedule. You didn't mention how many meat categories you're planning to cook. ?

Pork and Beef will hold for HOURS in a cooler if they finish early.

Good luck.
markpmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

go for it!!! my first comp was last Oct and I had a blast. Take the pracitce cooks seriously.....work on timing.

You'll meet a great bunch of folks
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Do yourself a big favor and forget all those "We won a GC in or first comp!" posts. That's great for those teams - and I don't want to take anything away from them - but that probably won't happen to you at a KCBS sanctioned event. I'm sure that sort of thing happens a lot at non-sanctioned events but it has never happened at a KCBS contest I've been to. So be humble (as I suspect you already are!) and just try and get everything turned in without a DQ :)

I say this to take pressure off. If you don't get a call, no big deal. Use your first comp as a measuring stick to determine what you need to do to become a good team. I think setting realistic goals will help you enjoy the contest.

One other thing, take a lesson from Joe (Tippycanoe) and HOLD ON to your bottle of Gentleman Jack. It can be slippery!

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
So I brought up the idea to a buddy of mine and we were thinking about doing a competition near us in about 3 weeks.

So I was wondering how hard it is do to one of these things for a first timer. I've always wanted to compete and so has he so we definitely want to try some time, but he's concerned that we don't have enough time to prepare.

Lastly, in order to compete in a KCBS event, do you have to be a member or registered team with the KCBS? I figured if I do I should probably do it sooner than later.

Thanks for the help!
We did our first comp last year, just me and my wife, with a little help from one other person on sunday steeling knives and passing paper towels.
We were not members of KCBS untill this past month so you don't have to be a member but some comps give you a discount if you are, plus it's just good to do. We decided to do the comp about a month ahead of time, and to tell the truth we were in no way ready for the comp, BUT it was the best way to get ready. If we had to do it all over again I would do it exatly the same way, Just jump in.

We went into the comp with the goal of turning in all 4 meats in on time and we did that. We did our second comp this past weekend after practicing what we learned from our first one on how it works we did cam in 12th and only 3 points outta the top 10 so not that bad IMHO.

Just do it, you will have a great time.

EDIT: we came in second from last overall at our first contest

Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
But you read A LOT here.
Plus you have some good teachers. :)
That is a very good point!

If it wasn't for the guys and gals on the GLBBQA, Brethren, and Scottie's class I wouldn't have had a chance in hell in putting out quality food or making the turn ins. Heck I didn't even have a clue on how to make a box until Scottie's daughter and sister taught me.

On a side note - I was practicing this last weekend and the wife and inlaws were my taste testers. There first comment was about how much my food has improved since last summer. Well look at my join date...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
NewEnglandQ
Full Fledged Farker

Don't under estimate the training and knowledge you gain from this site. I never BBQd before I joined this site about a year and a half ago. It sneaks up on you. First people start praising you for you BBQ. Then people start coming to you for advice. Of course along the way you are buying all kinds of equipment, rubs, sauces etc... Then all of a sudden you start thinking "hmmm maybe I could compete". I did my first this summer and had a blast and did pretty well in the comp.

Have Fun....
Traeger 075
Jenn Air Gasser
Grand Hall Smoker
Smith & Wesson Pellet Bullet
Fire Magic Built-in Charcoal Grill
NewEnglandQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
JBI

Just started competing this year too. Take the leap!! You will have a BLAST!! First comp I entered I took 22nd overall, the second event I took 16th overall with a third place in brisket and 10th place in pork butt!! Do not be afraid to ask a ton of questions!!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #15
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Do it!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote