MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #31
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Abstaining means choosing not to vote, I wonder how many of the non-voters were in the same boat that I was. I'm busy, so I don't often have a chance to read the Bullsheet; I didn't get my auto generated election email notice & I rarely go to the KCBS website. If I didn't read this and other forums, I probably would have missed voting. If you're a new KCBS member (under 2 years) the time frame of the elections is probably not something you think about.

I wonder how many casual KCBS members got their election notification email and blew it off because they didn't recognize the sender. I was surprised that there wasn't an email directly from KCBS letting members know that an election ballot was coming from a different source and to contact the office if you don't have it by a certain date.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289

Last edited by Slamdunkpro; 01-18-2010 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: add more thoughts
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #32
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I wonder how many of the non-voters were in the same boat that I was. I'm busy, so I don't often have a chance to read the Bullsheet; I didn't get my auto generated election email notice & I rarely go to the KCBS website. If I didn't read this and other forums, I probably would have missed voting. If you're a new KCBS member (under 2 years) the time frame of the elections is probably not something you think about.
Some, sure, but how many of the 10k members are people that have taken the CBJ class, gotten the membership as a side "benefit", and either reup it so they can judge the local arts council bbq contest or just haven't let it lapse yet? I'd be more curious to see a demographic breakdown of the vote - cooks vs. judges vs. reps vs. organizers and see who it was that really elected them.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #33
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd26a View Post
Some, sure, but how many of the 10k members are people that have taken the CBJ class, gotten the membership as a side "benefit", and either reup it so they can judge the local arts council bbq contest or just haven't let it lapse yet? I'd be more curious to see a demographic breakdown of the vote - cooks vs. judges vs. reps vs. organizers and see who it was that really elected them.
Agree 100% - I was in no way suggesting that 10,000 people didn't get their ballot.

I'd be real curious about the breakdown as well.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #34
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Abstains are not votes for or against something. You can't paint the picture how you want to. It doesn't work that way, Ford.
You are correct that I was making assumptions but I don't understand you saying that people abstained. To do that requires them to cast a vote that says I abstain. Those that didn't vote chose not to vote for whatever reason.

But still the majority that voted chose to return the incumbents and in a very convincing fashion. That sends a message to those of us that wanted change. We're in the minority.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #35
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
You are correct that I was making assumptions but I don't understand you saying that people abstained. To do that requires them to cast a vote that says I abstain. Those that didn't vote chose not to vote for whatever reason.

But still the majority that voted chose to return the incumbents and in a very convincing fashion. That sends a message to those of us that wanted change. We're in the minority.
Consult your Websters on the meaning of "abstain".

abstain: To refrain from something by one's own choice {thefreedictionary.com}

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #36
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Consult your Websters on the meaning of "abstain".

abstain: To refrain from something by one's own choice {thefreedictionary.com}
OK let's get technical. Your definition applies to an action such as smoking or not smoking, swearing or not swearing. You choose to do that. In parlimentary rules you have a choice vote or not to vote. Once you vote you can agree, disagree or abstain. Just look at the recent minutes of the BOD meeting. If a person does not attend they are not counted as abstaining but as not voting. You can vote for up to 4 people or you can vote for less than 4 and abstain by default from excersizing your right to vote for 4. But in order to abstain you must make a vote to be counted.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #37
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Term Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd26a View Post
Almost forgot

Term Limits - Allowed to serve X number of terms (3 or 4 maybe) then a mandatory cooling off period of Y years (or 1 term). For those that continue to want to serve in a capacity within the organization, they can continue to serve and have roles on respective committees.

This has been and still is the policy of KCBS, there is a limit of 2 terms on the Board, you can serve again after one(1) year if so electe to do so.
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #38
Jeff_in_KC

Ford, we don't use parlimentary procedure for the members to vote. People who abstain from voting choose not to vote. People who choose to abstain from sex choose not to have it. There might be any number of reasons why around 8700 people chose not to vote and abstained from doing so. Abstaining from voting in an election is totally different than abstaining from voting under parlimentary procedure.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #39
Plowboy

I think I'm going to abstain from this thread.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #40
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Who cares anyway.

Back to Don's original post. If you want to send him something use his email don't post ideas here.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #41
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Boys we can chase rabbits or we can start something proactive :)

Maybe I am unrealistic but working inside the system
even if that means helping to create a committee system
would seem the best use of our energy

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #42
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Boys we can chase rabbits or we can start something proactive :)

Maybe I am unrealistic but working inside the system
even if that means helping to create a committee system
would seem the best use of our energy
I agree Thom. Every board that I have been on, and there have been several, the committees where where most of the work was done. (By the way, I love the "chasing rabbits" thingie:)
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #43
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

The difficult part is if the BoD Member is the Committee Chair and he or she
is lazy and has no intention of working much it will be hard to make it work

Www.bbqthom.com
Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #44
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
The difficult part is if the BoD Member is the Committee Chair and he or she
is lazy and has no intention of working much it will be hard to make it work
That'd be like having No Report at the Board meeting. Surely that hasn't happened
Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #45
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

;) Yea the good ol "No Report Committee"

Www.bbqthom.com