MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pork Butt at 275-325?

I've been reading a lot on here about cooking brisket at higher temps, and recently had some amazing brisket that was cooked beginning to end at 325. This weekend, I am planning to smoke a brisket or two around that temp, and was hoping to do a butt at the same time. I've always smoked butts around 240-250. Is there any harm in cranking that up to 300 or so? I usually don't foil butts- would the higher temps require that?
Thanks!
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I would put the butt in a foil pan and try to get it off the bottom of the pan with a metal rack or something. Should turn out great. I sometimes loosely tent mine after 2 or 3 hours in the open.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I try to avoid high temp butts, but in a pinch I've done them. They seem a little greasy to me, so my best tip is to trim the fat closer than you normally do for a 250° or less cook. Some of the individual muscles don't tender up as well as others, so do a good mix when you pull it.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to do butts at 225-250 ,seem to come out better . Thats just me though . I have ramped them up to 300 when I was short for time..

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
OrangeFan
Got Wood.

I'm sure you're smarter than me, but I was having a hard time getting mine to finish at the lower temps (225-250). The first one took about 16 hours and finished at 2am. So I started doing them at 275-300. They were coming out better than any I'd ever eaten, mine or others. And they were taking between 6 and 8 hours. Granted, I'm not terribly experienced so I'm sure they still wouldn't compare favorably to some of the folks' butts on here.

What I just learned though is that the temp I was measuring at the top of the dome on my BGE, and that the temp at my grate was about 50 degrees lower. Dohhhh!

A month ago I would have recommended the higher temp, today I've got nothing but a warning for other newbies.
OrangeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Never had an issue with doing butts or picnics at around 300. I do start them out at 250ish for first hour to get some smoke into 'em. then ramp up the heat till probe tender or bone wiggles.

Don't really trim them up too much either. They seem to pull fine, with an occasional muscle that won't be as tender, but the flavor and overall moisture has always been great.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

For pulled pork at home I do hot and fast butts. 300-325 and done in 6-7hrs. I foil around 160. They turn out great. Give it a try.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Never had an issue with doing butts or picnics at around 300. I do start them out at 250ish for first hour to get some smoke into 'em. then ramp up the heat till probe tender or bone wiggles.

Don't really trim them up too much either. They seem to pull fine, with an occasional muscle that won't be as tender, but the flavor and overall moisture has always been great.
+1.

I prolly do between 275-300. Comes out great.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote