First Tri-tip

L

ljh34465

After reading about tri-tips and seeing what Ross in Ventura did, I had to try one. Here in Florida, had to ask the butcher for one. Then did a lot of Googling and it seems that a tri-tip is also known as a sirloin tip. (for any of you outside California that cannot find them:-D)

Just did a rub, seared both sides, reduced temp to 375. direct heat, and pulled at 125. Fantastic flavor, obviously juicy and very tender. Sliced part of it very thinly, put in a pan of au jus and made wonderful French dip sandwiches.

I am definitely impressed and will do another one - soon.

Only one photo -did not want to put the sandwich down to take more:mrgreen:

Can y'all tell I am having fun with my new Egg??

Tritipedit.jpg

Very nice!
Cook's Illustrated had a very tasty recipe for tri-tip that I use. If you're interested let me know and I'll look it up for ya.

hold up! Sirloin tip and tri tip are 2 different cuts of meat! A tri tip is the cap off of a top sirloin and a sirloin tip is from the back leg of a cow. Totally different cuts of meats!

Mike

Seems to be some contradictory info out there. What I read is that the tri tip is from the sirloin and is frequently cut into steaks. Named tri for triangular shape. And that the sirloin tip is essentially the same?

Tri-Tip Roast Beef

spacer.gif
The tri-tip is a triangular shaped cut at the tip of the sirloin and is surrounded by the remainder of the sirloin and the round and flank primals. It can be used as an oven roast ...

Local market has sirloin tip on sale so I will check with the butcher today.

Appreciate your input - anybody else want to chime in here:confused:

I have seen both, and I can add nothing to clarify this. I operate on the idea that they are not the same cut. That is a good looking hunk o' meat though.

ok, just got back from the market where sirloin tip roasts were on sale. With one in my hand, I asked the butcher if this was the same as a tri-tip roast and he said "No". I then asked him what the difference was and I got a humorous and I think definitive answer: "About three feet on the cow!"

He went on to say that it really irritated him that they called it sirloin tip - has nothing to do with the sirloin and should be called round.

So it appears there is much misinformation on the Internet - surprise.:biggrin:

Appears Smokin was right on:rolleyes:

Im a butcher here in North Alabama :p Sirloin tip and tri tip is not the same.

Mike

Looks delicious from here too!! Nice job!

Back