MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDog View Post
I gotta agree with Bob on this one. I too love the taste the drippings give the meat. Meat over a fire that's how it started folks.
Just because it started that way does not mean it has to end that way! My palette does not like it as much that's all, talk to my palette, chit

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I was kinda suprised at the flavor difference between the UDS and WSM. To me the drippings add a flavor that I really like. The smell it creates is nice too. Specifically what is it about the taste you don't like? Do you feel the drippings masks the taste from the wood? Just curious.
I feel it overpowers the meat, Too much juice drip smoke, lol!

Smoke is simply an ingrediant!

I got a wok defloector mod and will try that!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
BBQ Grail

The right amount of smoke, fat drippings, rub and sauce makes for simply marvelous bbq.

That's what I think.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #19
Bbq Bubba

WOW, why not just call this the "I hate my UDS and need a reason not to use it" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
The right amount of smoke, fat drippings, rub and sauce makes for simply marvelous bbq.

That's what I think.
Now that would make a great name for a catering co.!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
AlbuQue
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
I am not sure if I like the UDS flavor on meat. The taste from the fat dripping directly on the coals provides too much fat smoke for my taste. I do not as much of a problem with chicken or brisket. On pork, however, it seems to over power the meat. It is nice to get some sleep, but man I miss that flavor profile I get from my stick burner.

When I did overnight cooks on a ECB or WSM I had know problems.

It just might be my snobby arse

Just want to hear from others!
I ran into that too and posted what I thought: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=49169

UDS
1 Super-Fast [COLOR=blue][B][U]Blue[/U][/B][/COLOR] Thermopen on order
AlbuQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #21
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

I always use a water pan. I purchased a replacement charcoal bowl from Academy for $5, perfect size. I have added a third rack to acomadate the pan. Works great!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

[quote=CajunSmoker;767104]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post

Personally I like to save the renderings and pour them hot into empty Jimmy Dean Sausage Plastic casings, throw them in the freezer and serve as a Nice Pork and Beef Fat Sorbet.

Or spred the fat on the back of your lady friend... I mean how do you capture a booty, if you don't attack from the back?[/quote]

Dr Dre mod?

Na... much further back... like Dr. Funkenstein, George Clinton Back. Theme from the black hole mod. Cept I replaced boogie with Booty.

A tail ain't nothin' but a long Booty says Big Mista, though.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #23
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Perfect answer, Buy a Pellet smoker, perfect favor and SLEEP!!, Besides how many people are winning on the pellet smoker>>>I was told 4 legs up won the Jack on a Pellet smoker! Works for me!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #24
keale
Babbling Farker

All I ever used was a UDS, (mostly), so not really sure about taste, etc...
what if I used a alumimum pan, ala "kickassbbq" in my UDS, does this turn my UDS into a regular smoker?
I did notice however when recently when I was too lazy to wrap that my pork butts were a littly too smokey, heartburn mod., I could taste it the next day! LOL!
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #25
SmokinCoyote
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
I feel it overpowers the meat, Too much juice drip smoke, lol!

Smoke is simply an ingrediant!

I got a wok defloector mod and will try that!

I got to agree with you on this. I do like my UDS----BUT----I do like the different flavor I get from my offset better.
This is my opinion on what I like in the UDS:

Brisket - Was good. Tender. But to me tasted like a grilled brisket. It had that flavor you get on grilled steaks when the fat hits the coals. GOOD on steaks but I didn't like it on brisket. It was too much. Briskets are done in my stick burner from now on.

Butts - Good. Love the temp control and looong burn times. The butts had the same "grilled" taste to me when I pulled off a piece of the bark for a sample. However it wasn't noticable after I pulled it and it got all mixed together. Butts I will cook either way now. The UDS for convenience or my offset just because sometimes I am in the mood to use it and mess with the fire.

Ribs - Turned out awsome. I just might have been craving ribs that day but they were great. Did both beef back and pork spares and both were qreat. I didn't get the smoke ring I usually get but oh well, they tasted good and smokey.

Chicken/turkeys - LOVE the UDS for this. Still a different taste then my offset but I like it.

Basically I use the UDS for quick things like chicken, turkey, wings, did some steaks once, butts - if I don't feel like messing with my offset. I like it when I just want to do 1 or 2 things for dinner. Makes it easy. But when the family/neighbors hear I am "smoking" and I get all the calls asking if they can bring something to put in then I will use my Klose. I will probably do another brisket in it again sometime. We do a local cook off here and sleep would be nice for once. But at home and when I have time it will be the stick burner.

Me personnaly, I don't worry about doing it the "OLD" way. If I like it then I like it and If I don't then I don't.

With the price of beef and when I do get to cook something I am going to cook it the way I like it. When briskets used to be 80 cents a pound here you could fark one up and no big deal. Now you got to take a small loan out to get one then you got one shot at it or start saving up for the next time.
It ain't real Q until that precise moment, while watching the sunrise through a wisp of sweet smelling blue smoke, that a tough brisket finally surrenders itself to the gentle heat of an all wood fire and becomes a tender, juicy, smokey masterpiece.
Wiley "SmokinCoyote" Mixon
Klose 20 X 60 mobile
UDS
WSM
Red Thermapen

SmokinCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #26
swamprb

I love my Drums, but I know what Big Brother Smoke is talking about. I cooked on the drum with a few guys that had cooked on nothing but offsets and they all agreed they didn't care for the taste and were not about to give up their tanks.

But here's the deal- a lot of us have these biga$$ed charcoal baskets about 16" or larger and fill them up with more briq than we actually need for what we're cooking anyway and the fat just keeps stoking the coals.

Try a small charcoal ring, about the size of a large coffee can or Weber chimney and cook at a lower temp.

I've used mine at comps and gotten negative comments like "tastes like creosote" or "liquid smoke", but then again gotten raves, I've even noticed it myself and am wondering if I should burn them out every so often?

I refuse to use a waterpan, heatsheild or deflector in the drums-knock yerself out if you want to. I'll just fire up a WSM if I ever get tired of "ol grampaw"!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I used the water pan filled with sand this weekend in the UDS for the first time but honestly didn't notice a huge deference but there was a slight change. Who knows, I just love smoking period.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #28
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

Stop! I'm getting a headache. You guys are making me think...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #29
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbuQue View Post
I ran into that too and posted what I thought: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=49169
Thanks for the thread! You hit the nail with the hammer!