1st All night smoke and 1st Butt

CrackerJack from KC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here is an early peak of my Butt. It's 9 am and I still have 15 degrees more to go on the Butt. Added the Fatty at 7 am.

Made up a batch of Magic Dust from the Peace, Love, and BBQ book. Injected the Butt with a mixture of Italian Dressing, Lime Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Magic Dust, then I rubbed the whole thing to death with the Magic Dust.

Put it in an at 11 pm last night. Got up at 2 am and 6 am. Smoker ran hot all night, at about 275. Next time I will light 6 pieces of charcoal to start everything up instead of 12. Last night, I was roaming around my attic and found the Halogen light pictured, I would highly recommend having one for anyone who does cooking in the night. (no whimpy grill lights)

Planning on putting on some Atomic Buffalo Terds later. (Have to wait for the fatty to get finished)

One question, are you suppose to precook the bacon a bit before wrapping the Terds?

Attachments

• Butt1.JPG
    Butt1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
you have my light. That the kind of light I do a all nighter with. Butt looks great

No, no need to precook the bacon. Butt looks great. More pics when its done (and the ABT's)

Nice job so far. And you've got grass to look at too!

For the ABTs, it depends on how far you want to cook the peppers. I cook the peppers until they are soft so a lot of the heat is gone (wimpy family mod). The bacon is nice and crispy by then. If you want the peppers to have some bite, then the bacon may not get as crispy so you can par-cook it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so to give it a head start.

Look'in good Jack...I'd be interested to see how injecting your Butt turns out...I've done 5 or 6 now and haven't injected any yet...

Aren't overnight cooks great on a WSM...J

One more question...When you said "Next time I will light 6 pieces of charcoal to start everything up instead of 12"...Do you mean while using the minion method? I assumed you meant you fired up 12 briquetts to put on top of the pan full of unlit...

Definately a lot of fun!!!

Just had pulked pork on a bun for lunch, delicious!!!!! I will post the pron in a little bit.

I used the can in the middle method (and Kingsford), which I am not sure I would do again, I think by going so deep into the stack of charcoal, I think it burned hotter and faster. I never got the temperature below 260. Last time I used lump and dumped it on top, and I had much better luck controlling the temperature of the fire and kept it around 230.

Just put on the ABT on the grill, they should be done by in an hour.

I have to get all this smoking done, so I can sit on my duff tomorrow and watch Tony Stewart win the Daytona 500.

Back