MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #6241
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
Well, count me out as a true Vikings fan, then. Can you honestly say Bret is a true Vikes fan himself? He hasn't said yet...

The only way I can remember how it's spelled is from "There's Something about Mary.":

"Bret Faavvvvrrrruh?"
A true vikings fan would know how it's spelled from the many years of beating we took from him as a Packer.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #6242
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordsimmons View Post
Hello all:

Going to make my first UDS. I got 2 steel drums, both were food grade (used for juice concentrate) but both have a red paint like coating on the inside...what is the best way to remove? I was thinking burning them and then using a wire brush? Or do I even have to remove it?

In regards to the red liner, the best way to get it off is.....none!!!!!! If you like hard work or can tolerate it you'll be fine....but I mean hard work. I did two super hot six hour burns using hickory limbs and some left over hickory firewood from the winter. My opinion is, cut your losses and get an unlined drum. Its well worth it in the end....my opinion.

If you look on page 412 of this tread I posted a few photos of my build and I had a red liner. PITA for sure.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #6243
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Could be worse, I guess. Could be a true Chiefs fan.

How'd your drum turn out? Done a cook yet?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #6244
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

When I built my drum it had a red liner in it and I didn't have the patience to be grinding, so I took it to a heat treating shop that also did sandblasting. For $40 they put it in the burner and burned the liner out, then sandblasted the whole barrel. It turned out great and was the best $40 I spent on the my drum. Just an idea for anyone who is having trouble getting their liner out and have the resources to do it.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #6245
cliffordsimmons
Found some matches.

You know from reading the posts got me thinking.....

Why not do a burn, burn it hot and long. Make sure to drill my 1" holes first. Then paint the inside with the high temp BBQ paint. The paint can withstand 1000 degrees so I am thinking that might be the safest and easiest way to go. Modern gas and charcol grills all have that same black paint on the inside from what I can see. I don't see any harm in just burning and painting over, especially for low temp applications.

Opinions?
cliffordsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #6246
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I was wondering that too. Seems like that or a hi-temp powder coat would act as abatement...

Why not?
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #6247
fat_bastard
On the road to being a farker

If you're gonna try that, I'd run it a couple times at ~350*-400* to get rid of any fumes that you may encounter at normal operating temperatures. Just because it may be able to withstand those temps doesn't mean it won't off-gas a little, especially at the beginning.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #6248
TalonBrew

Well.... here I go. I just finished my UDS, minus the fancy paint job. But I figured I'd make sure it'd work as is. I'm about to fire her up and check the temps. If it holds after an hour or two, I may toss a chicken on it to see what happens.

I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Thanks to my buddy Mark (soon to make his own) for the welding help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds 001.jpg (121.9 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpg uds 002.jpg (69.9 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg uds 003.jpg (130.7 KB, 859 views)
TalonBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #6249
cliffordsimmons
Found some matches.

Yeah I think I will do the following:

1. Drill holes and burn
2. paint
3. Run at 400 or so a few times, maybe burn through a hole bag O charcol and get rid of any gas. If it fails, I have 2 of the same sort of barrell to begin again with.
cliffordsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #6250
N8man
Babbling Farker

Don't Paint the Inside!!! Season it instead with Lard or Veggie Oil.....
No telling what kind of fumes will outgas nearest the lit coals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordsimmons View Post
You know from reading the posts got me thinking.....

Why not do a burn, burn it hot and long. Make sure to drill my 1" holes first. Then paint the inside with the high temp BBQ paint. The paint can withstand 1000 degrees so I am thinking that might be the safest and easiest way to go. Modern gas and charcol grills all have that same black paint on the inside from what I can see. I don't see any harm in just burning and painting over, especially for low temp applications.

Opinions?

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #6251
TalonBrew

Two hours in and I'm steady at 250*. I put 1/2 inch nipples and ball valve on it. To get 250, I had to open one cap and the ball valve fully open. Is this going to be a problem? I could take the 1/2 in valve out and put in a 3/4 if I needed to.

With just the valve open and no caps, I was holding at about 210.
TalonBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #6252
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Finally Finished

Finally finished and seasoned my UDS on Thursday! This is my first post but I gotta add that I read the first 175 pages of this years in the running thread and gained invaluable advice from the likes of N8man, Norco (you are the best), Dr. KY, Chinesebob, and many many many more. My thanks to you all. I kept it simple for my first one. Open headed, 2x burn with weed burner, angle grind inside and out. Just finished painting the outside a solid flat black. Will post pics when paint job complete. Going with three 3/4" intake holes 2" from bottom with magnet control. Fire basket is pretty standard, no weld mod. Side mounted BBQ thermo 1" below weber replacement grate. Grate is 7" from top. Using existing bung hole for exhaust. Test burn was solid with ability to hang rock solid at 200 to 375 degrees depending on intake control.

She's ready for a fatty!

First cook tomorrow, sweet Lord I cannot wait!

UDS
Char-broil gasser
Char-broil H2O smoker (heavily modded fire basket)
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #6253
shdybrady

hey brethren I went to ace hardware and saw something for 10 bucks there is this cheap pan with a grate and he call it a grill. But really it isnt much. But the pan is the perfect size for an ash pan if you use the weber 18.5 and expanded metal around it. Just figured I would share

Found the link
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...637628.1260203

Last edited by shdybrady; 06-28-2010 at 07:31 PM..
shdybrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #6254
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Speaking of Ace, I found a 24" square piece of expanded steel that I cut in half then wired the two pieces together for my charcoal basket. Had been having trouble finding expanded steel at the big stores, Ace is the place!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #6255
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

To get the expanded metal you need to contact a metal company. I have a local trailer Mfg. company and they are who I contacted. I got a 24" x 44" Scrap piece for $10.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker