MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default landarc's pork dish, pork on pork.....

i hope i did you proud pal. i think this turned out killer and i'll be making this again in the future.

here is the thread where i "stole" his idea.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=porchetta

home grown sage, basil, thyme,rosemary, italian flat leaf parsley, chives..... all from my dad's herb garden..... i had some fennel seed on hand, but could not find whole corriander, so i went with corriander powder. fresh garlic, kosher salt, fresh cracked peppercorn medly.

i scrubbed the skin side good with kosher salt and vinegar, just as landarc did. i scored both sides at this point. i applied most of the fresh herbs as well as the salt and pepper and put in the tenderloins and rolled it up and vac-sealed it overnight.

yesterday i unsealed it and cut it open and added more fresh herbs along with some more salt and pepper and the fresh minced garlic and i rolled it back up and re-tied it.

for me, i was unable to tie it proper either time, but the first time i was trying to do it alone and the second time, the missus was there to hold it closed for me.

i have been abusing my bge's by not using them very much, opting for the kettle most of the time, so i figured i'd show girl some love with some of this pork on pork goodness. set it up indirect and ran it at about 275 for about 2 and a 1/4 hours....

this was after about two hours....

i ramped the temp up to 350 after that 2 and 1/4 hours and let it run like that for an hour before pulling it off the grill.

the skin was like pork cracklins. pretty hard to beat. the fat from the belly melted like butter and the meat was as tender as it could be.

a little home town beer love....

i pulled this when the thick end was at 145, but i started the cuts from the smaller end, which was at a bit higher temp.

and you can hardly go from eating such decadent food to drink less than decadent beverages, so we did that too.....

landarc, simply a killer dish. everything you said about it was accurate. it's hard to imagine the smell of the fresh pork and the herbaceousness of it all. a visual and olfactory delight.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

You need to tag this title with Pork on Pork XXX action! Nice cook ill be down in 3 hours to get a Togo plate!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

And beers! Lol

Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

That looks awesome!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice meat and nice beer, gotta love Stone beer
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Phubar

Oh yeah!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Oh my...

Excuse me... I need a cold shower.

BRB...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! That is awesome

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Dang!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

That looks incredibly good. Love to see the care and prep to the finished product.
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I'm with Ron on this one ... I need to cool down. I think my heart rate actually increased looking at these pics.

Deepsouth... teach me how to tie the roast the way you did with that butcher's cord!!!!!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
I'm with Ron on this one ... I need to cool down. I think my heart rate actually increased looking at these pics.

Deepsouth... teach me how to tie the roast the way you did with that butcher's cord!!!!!
i'm afraid it was not the "proper" way to tie a roast. i cut about six or seven equal pieces and tied it all down the length and then with a piece about 4 times as long as the roast, i tied the longer piece at the end and wove it around each cross tie. after four trips across the belly, i tied it at the end and snipped the extra twine.

it worked, but it wasn't the right way, or the easy way (had i been able to just bang it out proper from jump street).

Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I just bookmarked this thread - I know what I'm cooking this weekend!!! FREAKING AWESOME!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
landarc

That is a good looking roast, very nice beer selection as well. Oddly, we chose a Saison style ale as well, but, went with an Almanac Brewing Saison. You definitely did it up right. I need to do another one on a BGE, I was sure that was the tool, and you proved it.

On the other hand, you career in Japanese bondage films, that is not assured.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
That is a good looking roast, very nice beer selection as well. Oddly, we chose a Saison style ale as well, but, went with an Almanac Brewing Saison. You definitely did it up right. I need to do another one on a BGE, I was sure that was the tool, and you proved it.

On the other hand, you career in Japanese bondage films, that is not assured.

thanks man! i must work on my butcher's twine skills. i'm going to look for an object to practice on.

the second effort looked good, but was FAR from proper!