MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I hear what you guys are saying about skill, experience, etc but I still have questions about that. Assume for a moment, that keeping consistent temp wasn't an issue and taken out of the equation. (I'm toying with the idea of buying a pellet smoker this season which supposedly can keep a pretty steady and accurate temp). If you use the same seasoning every time, the exact same temp every time, , the only variable thats left is the meat, right?

The times I made brisket I used a Weber kettle and keeping the temperature steady over the cook was a huge pain in the ass. I'm wondering if with a pellet smoker and a really good quality piece of meat, I could produce brisket of that caliber. What else do you need to pay attention to other than the temps when cooking?
I have no experience with a pellet cooker, but like what's been said before: It's the cook, not the cooker.. and every piece of meat (especially brisket) is a little different.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I'm sure no expert on brisket and have only done six in the last 5 years (only cause I don't want to tire myself of brisket) but what I did was follow the advice I got here. Trim salt,pepper and a bit of garlic powder then smoke with mesquite at 250 or so. I then wrapped at 165 internal and brought it up to butter tender then held for 2 hours in a cooler. Was fantastic and this is a pic of my first. All other cooks were done the same and all were fantastic.
http://s133.beta.photobucket.com/use...l?sort=3&o=548
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I hear what you guys are saying about skill, experience, etc but I still have questions about that. Assume for a moment, that keeping consistent temp wasn't an issue and taken out of the equation. (I'm toying with the idea of buying a pellet smoker this season which supposedly can keep a pretty steady and accurate temp). If you use the same seasoning every time, the exact same temp every time, , the only variable thats left is the meat, right?

The times I made brisket I used a Weber kettle and keeping the temperature steady over the cook was a huge pain in the ass. I'm wondering if with a pellet smoker and a really good quality piece of meat, I could produce brisket of that caliber. What else do you need to pay attention to other than the temps when cooking?
If you really want to push the hypothetical.... some of the top smokers; Tuffy Stone, Johnny Trigg, Myron Mixon, Pellet Envy, AND Aaron Franklin are a few - do not run a pellet cooker.

However... there are teams which do run a pellet cooker and win too.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You need to learn to cook a great one on that kettle! It will teach you more and you will spend less that way than spending it on a pellet pooper and still be looking for the Holly Grail of Brisket. Temp control on a kettle is very easy. Start the first fire in it with the Weber manual it is written for grilling not BBQ. Use the "Ring of Fire" setup! I can run 250 - 275 up to 16 hrs and never add fuel or adj a vent just rotate the lid 90 deg every 4 hrs.
Keep the Cook simple> Remove the Hard fat, S&P Fat cap down, cook 4-5 hrs wrap in BP continue to cook to probe tender. Rest on the counter in the paper until the IT reaches the 150"s and enjoy it!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Rest on the counter in the paper until the IT reaches the 150"s and enjoy it!
150's???

Ain't nobody gonna enjoy that!

I'll go with you made a typo and it should have been 190's.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
150's???

He didn't mean cook to 150. I think what he was saying is you cook to 190-210 wherever the sweet spot is and then wrap and rest until the IT hits 150 from cooling down.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I started with bigabyte's brisket tutorial and was gonna move on to bigger and better things once I got the hang of it. But it was so darn tasty and easy, I just keep on doing it.

IMO, people over-think things too much. Rub it, put on the smoker, and take it off when it's done. No sooner.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
landarc

I think it holds true that the better the piece of meat you start with, the more likely you will end up with a great result. But, that is not to say grading the the ultimate answer. A Choice packer with a 1" thick flat is not necessarily going to do better than a Select packer with a 1.75" thick flat. One thing to remember is that the grading does not hinge on brisket quality, so it pays to select the best meat you can get, regardless of grade.

I happen to cook several briskets a year on my kettle and several on my UDS, and I have a reasonable chance of producing an exceptional brisket on either cooker. I don't happen to think it all comes down to temperature, it comes down to temperature, moisture in the cooker, cut of meat, airflow as well.

I will tell you, I think more briskets are ruined due to rushing, not allowing enough time, not resting long enough and insisting on using internal temperature than for any reason that could be traced to cut or grade of meat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
150's???

No TYPO! You need to go back and reread that post> I don't take or monitor the temp while cooking! Once the brisket has probed tender and is off the pit, I let it rest on the Counter top Wrapped when the IT DROPS TO 150 ISH it is ready to be served.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

I will tell you, I think more briskets are ruined due to rushing, not allowing enough time, not resting long enough and insisting on using internal temperature than for any reason that could be traced to cut or grade of meat.
No truer words ever spoke on the subject!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

so maybe this question for me can finally get answered. when I cook briskets, the seemy very tender around 180, then they tighten up and turn almost rock hard in the 195 area. will that brisket release again and become tender or when they turn hard your f'd?
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

Anyone who actually reads the multitude of posts here knows that as "The Truth".

I would bet that 95% (or more) of the "My Brisket Sucks" threads are simply due to under-cooking--as in not waiting for "probe tender".
Once the brisket is really done, it seems that everything else falls in line with taste, appearance, etc.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #28
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I think the biggest single factor is when you pull it. I believe that brisket has a very narrow window between undercooked and overcooked. It takes a lot of experience and skill to know when it is done perfectly.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
so maybe this question for me can finally get answered. when I cook briskets, the seemy very tender around 180, then they tighten up and turn almost rock hard in the 195 area. will that brisket release again and become tender or when they turn hard your f'd?
Simple answer

BluDawgs BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

so what your saying is yes, my typical brisket is done in when I probe it like butter around the 180 range?
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote