What is this gap in my Big Green Egg?

sandy1975

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just bought this big green egg used and noticed a gap between the lid and bottom toward the back of the egg. The front closes tight but there is a slight gap in the back. It is in really good condition otherwise. I have tightened the bolts and there is still a gap. Let me know of any suggestions on what issue is and how to fix.

Attachments

• big green egg bottom gap2 1-29-13.jpg
    big green egg bottom gap2 1-29-13.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20130201_191602.jpg
    IMG_20130201_191602.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 213
Isn't there supposed to be a gasket there between the top and base?

It was assembled incorrectly. You need to loosen ( and probably replace) the bolts and let it rest flat, and retighten.

The gasket is there. It looks like whoever assembled it didn't do it right. The dome should sit on top of the base flush all around. You'll probably have to loosen the bands and get the dome in position and then retighten the bands.

Try what the other guys said. If that doesn't work you may need a new band. If assembled incorrectly the bad may have warped if it was used like that for an extended period of time.

Search for Fred's Music & BBQ in Reading PA. He has links to youtube vids he made that show how to assemble BGE's and they have some great advice on getting the bands adjusted properly.

Remember that your BGE is an older model without the spring hinge. Any videos you find will be for the newer model which is more difficult to adjust due to the loaded spring.

I opted to replace the scissor hinge with a spring assist one on my large so I could have one-handed opening and closing of the lid. It also allowed me to install the flip up tables.

Just what the others said. If you look at the first pic, the top band is too low on the cover. It should be a really easy fix.

A easy way to test the gap is after adjusting take a dollar bill and close the dome, move all around checking by pulling the bill out. You should have a little tug when the lid is fitting correctly.

Back