Bottom round

S

slat

I bought a bottom round that is packaged like a brisket. It weighs 14.87 lbs. Question is should I cook it like a large roast take to 140 or 150 then let it rest or cook it more like a brisket? How long would you expect this to cook? Never saw one this size, but the price was good and thought I'd try it.

I would think round would be too lean to cook like a brisket. Think I'd do it like a roast.

Kevin

Hey Slat, there was a thread about bottom round on here just a couple of days ago. scan down and u will see it. The consensus--if we can ever reach one, was treat it like a roast, not a brisket. LOL

I didn't see that thread, but I did read it and the only problem is that one was for 2.5 lbs. and mine is 14.87 lbs. and has a fat cap almost like a brisket. It was packed in a cryovac.

Slat,

I was the one who started that thread, if i remeber correctly. I cooked my bottom round at about 225* for about an hour per pound--to 135*. I wrapped it in foil, then in a towel and let it sit for several hours. I cut it across the grain. It was pink in the middle and very tasty. But I think there's quite a bit of connective tissue in one of these and it was a bit chewy in places. Not tough, mind you, just when you ran across some of the connective tissue you had to rely on your teeth to break it down.

Slat, there was another thread started by Sami on Aug 21, about cooking a 16 pound rib roast. You might find some good info there too. There is a recipe in the recipe section-unbroken part, for Phil's prime roast. Called Grand Poobahs roast, it seems to be the standard for doing roast beef around here.

Back