Question on wood

KJ's BBQ

Reaction score
I recently invested in a vertical wood smoker and previously used a barrel type pellet smoker. Last night I cooked a pork loin using maple wood. The meat texture was awesome, but the flavor of the meat was bitter. What happened?

Was the fire small, burning hot and fast (not smoldering)?
How was your exhaust... partially closed or wide open?
Was your wood well seasoned?

Thats where I was going with it too. Sounds like wood not very well seasoned or smoldering.

I have a "stupid" question but what do you guys mean by seasoned wood? I'm a rookie so please don't kill me just trying to get a better understanding.

Nonsense, we would never look down on someone for asking a question they don't know the answer to. Seasoning is just basically the term for drying it out. Wood is usually either "green" (freshly cut) or "seasoned" (been stacked up hopefully under a tarp or something, drying for usually best if for at least 6 months to a year)

Try it again with the exhaust fully open and enough air going to the charcoal. Heat the smoker until the smoke is thin and blue, then damp it down to reach temp. Make sure you ain't using green wood, that will taste bad. BTDT.

Heres some wood advice.
Pick your wood like you pick your friends.
Look at it, make sure you know what you've got...
If your woods seasoned, test it. If it don't smell good, pass on it...
(We still talking about friends?)
Lastly... If you find wood you really like, take care of it...

I like how everyone is so willing to help and we're all waiting in suspense for the answers to our questions! Don't you know once you join the brethren there is no other life besides cooking and posting!? :crazy:

Used dry logs. Damper was partly closed. I'll smell the wood... Supplier said it was seasoned, but I'm now questioning that. Is there any other way to tell if the wood is seasoned other than it isn't green colored? I'll try again with the damper open wide!

Knock a couple of pieces together...if they make a sound like a bat hitting a ball, it's seasoned and dry. If it's a thud sound, then chances are it's still green and to wet.

How much wood did you use? Some times you can over smoke if you get to zealous with how much wood you throw on at once which causes the wood to smolder and not burn resulting in a bitter taste from creosote build up.

Back