Contest Results Ties in the Florida Bar-B-Que Association?

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm checking out the FBA Rules for Winners and notice that Ties are allowed:

15. WINNERS - The winners in each meat category will be determined by adding all the scores together and the team with the most points will be 1st. place, the team with the next highest total will be 2nd. place, etc. The GRAND CHAMPION will be the team with the most total points, and the RESERVE CHAMPION will be the team with the second highest total points. To qualify for either GRAND CHAMPION or RESERVE CHAMPION a team must submit entries in all four sanctioned categories. Ties in any meat category, grand or reserve champion are allowed. In the event of a tie in a meat category the next lowest rank will be omitted and the tied teams will be awarded the same rank. In the event of tie for grand champion the tied teams will be declared grand champions and there will be no reserve champion. In the event of a tie for reserve champion the tied teams will be declared reserve champions. Any prize money for the tied rank and the next lowest rank will be combined and distributed evenly amongst the tied teams. For example a two way tie for 1st place in brisket with a $500 prize for 1st place and $400 prize for 2nd place would result in the two teams sharing 1st place and $900; there would be no 2nd place award. The results of an FBA sanctioned contest are considered to be certified at midnight local time after the completion of the contest.

I'm just curious if there is a tie for GC at a Qualifying event, do both teams get a bung for the Jack or an invite to the AR & GAB? And who gets the trophy?

Also, in the history of the FBA has there been any 3 or 4 way ties for GC or RGC?
I kind of like the way the rules are written and how the rank and prize money is determined, but curiosity has gotten the best of me and I just have to ask?

Have any FBA Brethren been involved in any ties, or is it not too common?

Fba ties

I have been competing in FBA contests since 2005 and have seen several ties in a category but never in the overall. As it states in the rule both teams are awarded the higher place and prize money of both places split.
With eleven years of sanctioning ties of GC or RGC have never happened to my knowledge. But then again there had not been a perfect score until last year at Newnan Ga,that contest had two.

Like Munchee said, we've never had a tie for GC or RGC. The rules were written back in the beginning of the FBA over 10 years ago. Back then there were few - if any - FBA qualifiers. Getting a proclamation for a contest just wasn't that big of a deal. For the most part, teams back then didn't necessarily have making it to the Jack or American Royal Invitational a priority. We have always been at a disadvantage with our percentage of qualifiers vs non-qualifiers. We were maybe 50% 6 years ago. Now we're probably up to around 90% qualifiers. I've been trying to get the organizers into it for 6-7 years and we've just about got them all on board.

But to answer your question, that rule probably needs to be re-addressed now that qualifiers and bungs are at stake. For the GC anyway. I think the rest is OK to stay as is.

Back