MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Default Does this sound right for 35 people

I have been asked to do a party for about 35 people and a bunch of those are big eaters apparently. It was originally going to be pit beef but they have changed their mind. I had actually started another thread about that but it doesn't much matter now. It is my parents party so I am not looking to make any money at all but also don't want way too much or too little food.

Does this sound about right?

35-40lb pork butt (raw)
9 lbs of slaw
1/2 gallon bbq sauce
1.75 gallons of baked beans
4 or 5 dozen rolls

I figured those numbers out with 50% loss on the pork and 4oz servings but most people having multiple. 3oz of slaw per person, 3/4 cup of beans per person, and the sauce was pretty much a complete and total guess.

Also, any idea on the weight of 1.75 gallons of beans?
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
I have been asked to do a party for about 35 people and a bunch of those are big eaters apparently. It was originally going to be pit beef but they have changed their mind. I had actually started another thread about that but it doesn't much matter now. It is my parents party so I am not looking to make any money at all but also don't want way too much or too little food.

Does this sound about right?

35-40lb pork butt (raw)
9 lbs of slaw
1/2 gallon bbq sauce
1.75 gallons of baked beans
4 or 5 dozen rolls

I figured those numbers out with 50% loss on the pork and 4oz servings but most people having multiple. 3oz of slaw per person, 3/4 cup of beans per person, and the sauce was pretty much a complete and total guess.

Also, any idea on the weight of 1.75 gallons of beans?
Even with big eaters that's way too much meat for one meal.
I'd go with 25 pounds raw meat. That should yield at least 15 pounds.
The slaw is about right.
The beans - a #10 can (like Bush's) will serve about 22 per can.
Sauce and rolls is plenty.

Good luck.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

I had a feeling that was going to be too much pork.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

It's your parents party and the folks are big eaters. 1/2 lb of cooked meat is NOT too much. So 35 to 40 lbs raw sounds good as I usually get a 50% yield.

Beans - if you doctor them you can start with a #10 can of bush's. Add onion, apples, raising, pulled pork, and whatever else you want - maybe a different type of bean. Plus Q sauce, ketchup, etc. Make 2 1/2 pans and it will serve the crowd but not with a lot left. I generally have 4 #10 cans plus a half pan of pork and it makes 6 1/2 pans.

We just did 10 lbs of slaw and put into 4 oz cups and had about 100 cups. I like more than a 4 oz serving and a 3 oz is just not enough IMHO.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Ford

Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

35lbs raw meat plus 10% gives you 1/2lb per person plus a small buffer and is what I would cook. 38-40lbs
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote