MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
dvdmacdaddy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Very Low Temps After Char-Griller Duo Mods

I have a char-griller duo with sfb. Recently decided to add some mods to help even out temps, I could go from 200-300 deg in a matter of minutes and be 50-100 deg difference between one end and the other. I added the dryer vent down to the cooking surface level, turned the coal grate upside down (to act as a baffle), made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal (12x12x6), plugged all unnecessary holes, and added a gasket around lid of smoker. I fill the basket with lump and wood chunks to the point of overflowing, I add half a chimney full of lit lump on top of that, leave the door open for 5-10 min then shut it (this is how i have always done it, minus the new bigger basket), open intake and exhaust vent all the way (before mods had both half way open). The highest temp I saw was 170 but mostly hung around in the 150-160 range. (All temps I used a digital thermo, the one on the lid is just a decoration/hole plug)

Any ideas on how to get the temps into the 200-225 range?

I know low temps are like Moby Dick (few and far between) but some times I just don't have the time to cook at those temps.
dvdmacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

You might need a little more airflow. Try a small battery operated fan at the damper and see what happens

[COLOR=blue]Extremely Durable, Fast and Amazingly Accurate Maverick Pro Temp PT-100 Thermometer & ET-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Found new homes: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Modded Brinkmann SNP(it's finally holding temp!), 18.5" Weber kettle[/COLOR]
Bbqin fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

I had similar issues after I made some mods to my old chargriller. I would leave the firebow door open for about 10 to 15 minutes to increase airflow. I only had to do this on the initial startup, when I added coals later I would leave it open for 5 mins.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
dvdmacdaddy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks, I figured out I have to crack the door to the fire box about 1/2 in. So I drilled a hole tack welded a nut and ran a bolt to adjust door spacing as needed.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
AMoore
On the road to being a farker

I was experiencing the same issues with mine Chargriller w/SFB. I really liked the way it cooked when it worked properly so I decided to do what you have done plus one more step. I invested in a Stoker system (I think about 275.00). I have had no issues and my cook times are the most consistant I have ever experienced. Good luck with whatever you do to fix this.
AMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

I've had nothing but bad luck with my Duo... The burner tubes didn't come in the box (no pun intended), I finally got them, after six months of waiting for CG to send them I had to go back down to Lowe's in Kalispell and ask them help me out. They opened a new box and handed them over with no hassles. When I finally got them home and tried them I found that with all three burners on low the temps according to the CG thermo were in the 700's!! Needless to say when I went to check on them they looked like drumstick shaped charcoal. How does your LP side cook? I did the mods to the coal side before even trying it out. My highest temp on my trustee oven thermo was around 180. Other than completely sealing the cook chamber and lengthening the exhaust stack to promote better draw, I can't think of anything else you could do. I'm not farkin around with mine for awhile so if you try these 2 suggestions let me know if they work.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmacdaddy View Post
I have a char-griller duo with sfb. Recently decided to add some mods to help even out temps, I could go from 200-300 deg in a matter of minutes and be 50-100 deg difference between one end and the other. I added the dryer vent down to the cooking surface level, turned the coal grate upside down (to act as a baffle), made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal (12x12x6), plugged all unnecessary holes, and added a gasket around lid of smoker. I fill the basket with lump and wood chunks to the point of overflowing, I add half a chimney full of lit lump on top of that, leave the door open for 5-10 min then shut it (this is how i have always done it, minus the new bigger basket), open intake and exhaust vent all the way (before mods had both half way open). The highest temp I saw was 170 but mostly hung around in the 150-160 range. (All temps I used a digital thermo, the one on the lid is just a decoration/hole plug)

Any ideas on how to get the temps into the 200-225 range?

I know low temps are like Moby Dick (few and far between) but some times I just don't have the time to cook at those temps.
I had the same problem and determined the upside down coal grate was too restrictive for good air flow. I put a baking sheet turned upside down in the smoking chamber pushed up against the fire box side as a heat baffle. The baking sheet extends about halve way across the smoking chamber.

Been using it for at least a year like this now and have no problem running temps as high as 350 to 400 or as low as 220...

Let me know if you need more details...

Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Payne View Post
I had the same problem and determined the upside down coal grate was too restrictive for good air flow.
My thought also, the cookie sheet idea sounds good.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote