The Great American BBQ Tour

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
http://www.kcbs.us/tour.php

The Kansas City Barbeque Society is proud to announce the upcoming launch of The Great American BBQ Tour, a cross-country tour of some of the nation's top BBQ and food festivals.
This tour, which will be on display at 23 premiere events and also make numerous stops at retail locations across the U.S., will show how backyard grillers can take tips from the BBQ pros of the KCBS and apply them to their grills at home.
The tour will also demonstrate the products that go great in and with world-class BBQ, including Tabasco-brand Chipotle sauce, Weber Grill Creations, Royal Oak charcoal and Royal Chinet tableware.
Stop by the Great American BBQ Tour display, and you will not only learn tips from the pros, but you can sample BBQ from our expert chefs and walk away with great recipes and tips to use at home.
If you have ever wanted to take your grilling to the next level, then be sure to check out the Great American BBQ Tour - coming to a city near you! Keep checking back for an updated schedule of tour events.

I wish this link included the scheduled events along with who the pro's are at each event. Hopefully that will come.

It's worthless to put this out on their website without a schedule. Since they know there are 23 dates they know what they are.

This is great MARKETING...

I like the idea in general. They plan to explain competition BBQ at these things as well. The example they gave was explaining to the public why these competitors won't talk to you when it's a quarter to 12 on Saturday. Got a hunch most won't happen around the KC area. And yeah, they do know who the 23 are. At the organizers roundtable last weekend, they told us that if we hadn't already heard from them, it wasn't likely we were on the list.

Seems like a nice idea especially if it's fully sponsored, but a bit pre-mature to launch it online without more details.

Wonder how the pros were selected ?

Reason I ask is that a current BOD member made a comment in a recent e-mail exchange to me regarding my inquiry on how they came up with 10 contests as the magic # for TOY scoring . As part of the response, this particular BOD member also noted that MMA now would handle the requests from companies looking to sponsor teams instead of the KCBS office who used to get those inquiries. Opened my eyes a bit when I read that as to how that got handled/will get handled in the future.

I think it's cool too. Should the word grillers have been substituted with barbequers? If the tour is going to talk about Q'ing and grilling techniques it probably would have been a better word. I saw this mentioned on another site and I shot my mouth off before reading the page. Without knowing the tour plan, grilling might be fine.

Sound's really cool but probably won't see something this far north!!:mad:

I'm afraid that they are going to be concentrating on areas where they know that they will have a warm welcome and a great reception, which would be at events where BBQ is already entrenched and doesn't need the PR. I would love to see them visit dense population areas where competition is not a common sight, such as NY, Seattle, Boston or Flint.

We need the outreach on the fringes.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to stick with the meccas for the first year to work the kinks out.

Ok, I'm a mess. I just invalidated my first comment.

Eric

Seems like a nice idea especially if it's fully sponsored, but a bit pre-mature to launch it online without more details.

:lol: McCloud asked at the banquet if there was a husband/wife team who maybe are retired or who could otherwise travel for this and invited them to apply for the position.

Does Delaware qualify for the dense population criteria?:-D

I'm afraid that they are going to be concentrating on areas where they know that they will have a warm welcome and a great reception, which would be at events where BBQ is already entrenched and doesn't need the PR. I would love to see them visit dense population areas where competition is not a common sight, such as NY, Seattle, Boston or Flint.

We need the outreach on the fringes.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to stick with the meccas for the first year to work the kinks out.

Ok, I'm a mess. I just invalidated my first comment.

Eric

Reason I ask is that a current BOD member made a comment in a recent e-mail exchange to me regarding my inquiry on how they came up with 10 contests as the magic # for TOY scoring . As part of the response, this particular BOD member also noted that MMA now would handle the requests from companies looking to sponsor teams instead of the KCBS office who used to get those inquiries. Opened my eyes a bit when I read that as to how that got handled/will get handled in the future.

As an agency that is looking to maximize the exposure for their client, MMA should be better equipped to handle these types of requests and pair a company with a cook team that would fit them best and benefit both the sponsor and KCBS.

That's what they are being for, right? That way KCBS doesn't have to mess with this type of thing.

Not that I think it's right or wrong, but as a sponsor, wouldn't you rather be tied to a team that wins week in and week out and cooks 30 contests a year nation-wide, rather than a local team that does even a fair amount (say 10-15) of local competitions? It's MMA's job to single out and identify these teams, which shouldn't be hard to do.

Back