Yoder stick burners

tubby384

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm about ready to order a stick burner and the Yoder's backyard models are priced competitively with all the other custom builders. The Kingman Competition model is the one I really like, but the price difference between the backyard model is about 2K. Is the HMS on the Competition model worth the extra money? Also, what draws me to the Yoders is shipping cost and awesome customer service.

Yes the hest management plate is the worth the money and I think it is included with the competition model but costs extra on the backyard model.

It is included on the comp cart model. The HMS is totally worth it. My YS1500 is basically a pellet fired Kingman with HMS and it is very even and predicable. Plus it's going to be much easier to move on the cart than the backyard model will be. If I buy a non-trailer mounted stickburner, the Kingman Comp Cart will be what I get.

Is there a difference between the Heat Management System and the Heat Management Plate or are they the same? Nucornhusker can you fill us all in?

And one other question for nucornhusker, Now that you have owned both. What are the major differances between the 1500 and the 640 or is it mostly cooking area. They are within 75-100 lbs of each other.

I'm going to look at 3 year old Cheyenne some dude has for sale (if the guy who got first dibs on it doesn't buy it first). I'm not sure if it has the Heat Management plate...is that something that could be added or is it welded in? I guess I could just have someone weld it in for me or just make a baffle. Hopefully the first guy doesn't buy it, I've been looking for a good quality stick burner for a while. I'll be ordering a SF one day but the wife says we have to buy a new house first. :crazy: My current home really doesn't have the room to accommodate a trailer pit and that's what I have my eye on. Figure the Yoder Cheyenne would definitely bridge the gap between now and when I can order the Shirley.

I'm going to look at 3 year old Cheyenne some dude has for sale (if the guy who got first dibs on it doesn't buy it first). I'm not sure if it has the Heat Management plate...is that something that could be added or is it welded in? I guess I could just have someone weld it in for me or just make a baffle. Hopefully the first guy doesn't buy it, I've been looking for a good quality stick burner for a while. I'll be ordering a SF one day but the wife says we have to buy a new house first. :crazy: My current home really doesn't have the room to accommodate a trailer pit and that's what I have my eye on. Figure the Yoder Cheyenne would definitely bridge the gap between now and when I can order the Shirley.

The heat management plate just sits in the cooker, it can be moved to adjust the heat from side to side or removed if you want. You should be able to order one from Yoder or check with Ron at St Louis BBQ store and see if he has one in stock.

Is there a difference between the Heat Management System and the Heat Management Plate or are they the same? Nucornhusker can you fill us all in?

To the best of my knowledge, the plate is just a drop in plate that doesn't go the entire length of the pit. The HMS is welded in a goes the whole length of the pit. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

And one other question for nucornhusker, Now that you have owned both. What are the major differances between the 1500 and the 640 or is it mostly cooking area. They are within 75-100 lbs of each other.

The YS640 is setup like a traditional pellet pit with a heat diffuser plate and a firepot that sit on the bottom floor. However I feel Yoder's design is a better design than others.

The YS1500 is setup more like their traditional stick pits with the HMS to even the heat, thicker round tube steel body and the firepot sits below the bottom floor to get the fire further from the cooking surface like a stick pit.

They are both excellent pits, but there is an improvement for the price difference, which there should be.

To the best of my knowledge, the plate is just a drop in plate that doesn't go the entire length of the pit. The HMS is welded in a goes the whole length of the pit. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

The plate does not go the entire length of the smoker, its about 3/4 as long, so the HMS creates more of a reverse flow type baffle? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm about ready to order a stick burner and the Yoder's backyard models are priced competitively with all the other custom builders. The Kingman Competition model is the one I really like, but the price difference between the backyard model is about 2K. Is the HMS on the Competition model worth the extra money? Also, what draws me to the Yoders is shipping cost and awesome customer service.

After Nucornhusker has explained the difference between the HMP and HMS, I can tell you that on my Wichita model with the plate, I get pretty even temps from side to side. That 2K difference between the two models in my mind comes down to looks, square firebox and ease of moving. I don't move mine very often, but I do like the square firebox and it does look cool. If I had the 2K I'd get the comp model, if money was tighter, I'd skip it. Either way, it's a great smoker.

The plate does not go the entire length of the smoker, its about 3/4 as long, so the HMS creates more of a reverse flow type baffle? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

It is not a reverse flow because the air escapes at the opposite end of the pit from the firebox, not the same. It is there to even out temps strictly, and block the direct heat from the firebox that creates the hotspot. If you want the hot spot by the firebox which is sometimes very helpful, especially for chicken, you slide the plate open by the firebox in the HMS to get direct heat from the fire and make a hot spot when needed. It works very well.

Word on the street there is a used Frontiersman comp in Arizona for sale. Saw a post of Yoder on Facebook in a group I belong to. I think the build date was 2/2012. Red comp cart. That thing is a beast. If I lived closer, I would definitely inquire about it with Yoder. Who will get there first....

The frontiersman weighs 3100 lbs compared to the Kingman competitor at 1300 lbs. Even if I were to get the used Frontiersman for the same price as a new Kingman, isn't that way overkill for an average cook for a family of five and the occasional fundraiser cooking for 60-70 people? What are your thoughts?

I would say that is not a backyard smoker, if that is what you're looking for.

The frontiersman weighs 3100 lbs compared to the Kingman competitor at 1300 lbs. Even if I were to get the used Frontiersman for the same price as a new Kingman, isn't that way overkill for an average cook for a family of five and the occasional fundraiser cooking for 60-70 people? What are your thoughts?

True, but isn't it fun to at least inquire about it...

The Frontiersman is awesome looking, as I cooked across from it at the Sam's Club in Tucson. Actually, the previous owner downsized to the Kingman. Thank god I don't have an RV Gate on the side of the house, or it would be in my backyard. Too big for my house.

The Chisholm II I have the plate is welded and runs the entire length.

Back