The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Oldhoss
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Which Kind Of Butchers Paper Do I Want To Use

I am cooking some butt tommorrow and while at the grocery store I asked for some butchers paper as I want to try using it. The stuff I got is a flat reddish colour and has a shinny layer on one side. I had a thought that this may not be what all you guys are talking about for use in smoking food so I did a little search here and now see there is white, brown and red butchers paper. Furthermore that this shinny material may be poly-something or other.....perhaps Oldhoss ought not to be using this. What is your opinion on this issue fellow food nuts.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Smokesignalsfromtx

Is the "shinny" stuff like parchment? (Wax?). I've been told not to use that kind if it is. You would want un treated, food grade butcher paper.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
pjtexas1
Full Fledged Farker

that sounds more like freezer paper. I use the big roll from Sam's and it does not have a shiny coating.

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Oldhoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesignalsfromtx View Post
Is the "shinny" stuff like parchment? (Wax?).
Yes. Thanks guys. Looks like this is going unused tommorrow.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

You got freezer paper.

If you can't wait, you can use brown paper grocery/food bags in a pinch. If you want to order some plain uncoated butcher paper, they have it at uline.ca , white or red in various widths. I've seen other posts stating 18" is a bit narrow. I'm planning on ordering some 24".

Unread 02-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
pjtexas1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
You got freezer paper.

If you can't wait, you can use brown paper grocery/food bags in a pinch. If you want to order some plain uncoated butcher paper, they have it at uline.ca , white or red in various widths. I've seen other posts stating 18" is a bit narrow. I'm planning on ordering some 24".
The stuff from Sam's is 18" and it is too small for a large brisket. I always get the smallest briskets I can find since I don't have that many people to feed so it works for me. If I do a larger one I have to wrap it in 2 directions. When that roll is gone I will definitely get a wider one.

Unread 02-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I am going to be doing my first brisket soon (full packer in my Mini WSM). I will be bending it in an inverted U shape to fit it in.

I guess need butcher paper wider than 18" then. Where can I get this?

Actually when I paper it, I'll just throw it in my gas oven at that point so I can lay it flat. It shouldn't matter what I cook it in after I wrap it right? It doesn't take on any more smoke flavor and the meat is shielded--by the paper--from the dryer environment of the natural gas oven.

Unread 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I am going to be doing my first brisket soon (full packer in my Mini WSM). I will be bending it in an inverted U shape to fit it in.

Actually when I paper it, I'll just throw it in my gas oven at that point so I can lay it flat. It shouldn't matter what I cook it in after I wrap it right? It doesn't take on any more smoke flavor and the meat is shielded--by the paper--from the dryer environment of the natural gas oven.
I got mine as Sams as well. As far as temp theres paper in a gas oven, to hot and well itll smolder and ignite. Depending on the size of the packer it will shrink quite a bit and could lay flat on the grates, or try putting an empty can under the brisket to make more room.

Unread 02-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
pjtexas1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

It should be fine in the oven. Butcher paper does breathe and it takes on a little bit more smoke. It will not retain moisture like foil but it will hold enough to keep it from drying out. Make sure you put it in a pan because the paper will leak. I would guess that restaurant supply places should have them but the ones in my area do not stock them.

Unread 02-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
pjtexas1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoolsbyMD View Post
As far as temp theres paper in a gas oven, to hot and well itll smolder and ignite.
I thought the ignition point was 350. Is that correct? Does it make a difference that it is in a gas oven versus electric? I would hate for someone to ruin a brisket.

Unread 02-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I thought the ignition point was 350. Is that correct? Does it make a difference that it is in a gas oven versus electric? I would hate for someone to ruin a brisket.
I've read that natural gas ovens are a more dry environment than electric ovens. I've read some people like hybrid stove/ovens because of this; they want gas for the cook top and electric for the oven--personally I'd love a natural gas & induction hybrid cooktop with an electric oven :) (3 way hybrid.. but they don't even exist ! lol)

Unread 02-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #12
stepheneleven
Knows what a fatty is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Unread 02-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneleven View Post
Is that food safe paper? What if they put some chemicals in that paper that doesn't go well with food?

Unread 02-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
peeps
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Is that food safe paper? What if they put some chemicals in that paper that doesn't go well with food?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product Description
The word kraft means strong in German. Kraft papers are strong, economical, durable papers intended for packaging, wrapping, dunnage and shipping. Kraft paper may be bleached or unbleached and is run in a variety of basis weights depending upon the application it is made for. The unbleached paper is a rich brown color sometimes referred to as natural kraft. This color is a byproduct of the chemical process (sulfate) that helps give kraft paper its strength. For white kraft, mills employ a bleaching process that removes the color from the fibers. This extra step increases the cost of bleached kraft paper, which is why it sells at a premium to natural. Kraft papers are USDA/FDA approved for use in food industries. Measures 765' length by 24" width.

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #15
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
If you've eaten their cheese the point is moot...