MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

I refuse to let a buck or two determine what I will and won't make. If it was a bigger price difference it would get my attention but for $1.50 extra for a pork butt I really don't care.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
Okie Sawbones
Banned

I was just over at Costco. Pork shoulder was $4.21 a pound.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #18
ak56
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Sawbones View Post
I was just over at Costco. Pork shoulder was $4.21 a pound.
Okie,

Go over to the Olympia Cash & Carry

Bone-In Pork Butts $1.56lb

Boneless are on special at $1.49lb

I usually pick up the boneless when they are on special and have had good luck with them.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
funugy
Take a breath!

I got all pulled porked out. Price around here is pretty reasonable, with prices between 1.29-1.79/lb normally, and sales show up every few months for .99/lb.

My problem was that I was cooking about 12-15 lbs every weekend for my family and a friend to split for about 3 or 4 months straight. It got to the point I started vacuum sealing a couple pounds a week because we weren't getting through it all. It's been since the end of September I think since I had pulled pork, so we might be ready again.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
Okie,

Go over to the Olympia Cash & Carry

Bone-In Pork Butts $1.56lb

Boneless are on special at $1.49lb

I usually pick up the boneless when they are on special and have had good luck with them.
Great. Thanks.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
crb478
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I love cooking....I love bbq..and more to the point I love pork bbq and a good pork bbq sammich(in NC its just called bbq sammich).

HOWEVER, over the last several months the price of untreated natural pork butts, even at Sams, has been no lower than $1.68/lb and has sit over $2+ for the most part. I refuse to pay those prices as it defeats the whole idea of bbq to me when I can by ribs for less per pound and brisket for 20 cents more per pound.

Well.....today my hiatus is over my friends!!! It may not be .99 a pound but I got two natural butts in the cryo for $1.28/lb. And lemme tell ya I'm excited.

But, it got me to thinkin'. Has anyone else been either going without pork butts or at least smoking other meats more often due to the prices being closer???

.......Oh and butts go on in the next couple days. Pics shall follow.
Have you tried Restaurant Depot in Charlotte? They have them frequently for less than what you have been paying, and if you buy in bulk the price drops even more. They should not be too far away from you if you are in Marion you can take 485 to Wilkinson and get there in about 45 minutes. You will need a membership, but you can probably get day passes.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #22
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wegman's just jumped from $1.29 a pound to $1.49 a pound.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
Erle
Knows what a fatty is.

Local Harris Teeter in Chapel Hill has SMithfield buts on sale for $.99/lb, go get you three or four...

Humphrey's Qube'd Pint, Weber OTG (upgraded silver), Smokey Joe Gold, Stoker I & II ATCs, and Red Thermapen
Erle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #24
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
Have you tried Restaurant Depot in Charlotte? They have them frequently for less than what you have been paying, and if you buy in bulk the price drops even more. They should not be too far away from you if you are in Marion you can take 485 to Wilkinson and get there in about 45 minutes. You will need a membership, but you can probably get day passes.
Yep, I love me some Restaurant Depot. That's where I got the beef ribs I posted a while back. Nearly got frost bite circling around that joint. LOL!!

It's fascinating to hear the differences in pork prices around the country. Here in NC you'd think the prices were universally lower just like beef is in Texas...but nope. It's also interesting that I can get spares already cut to st louis on sale from time to time for around 1.68/lb which is the current "sale" price for pork butt on average......however the folks in Raleigh are telling me they get .99/lb pork butt and much much higher spare rib prices.

Oh well.....I reckon we all have to ride whatever wave they send our way. Just had to see if anyone else was refraining from buying pork butt because 2.99/lb isn't rare here. That's not "a couple bucks". For a cryo pack of 18lbs that's over 30 bucks. Even at 1.78/lb it's over 9 bucks(all compared to the 1.28/lb I just got). Heck that's a decent steak I'm missing out on.

Last edited by lantern; 01-08-2014 at 09:58 PM..
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #25
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

HEB here had it for a buck fifty about 3weeks ago, so I got 6 of em

Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 AM   #26
BubbyQue
Got Wood.

Can't say im in the same boat. I got a few in my freezer i picked up onsale at the giant for 99cents/lb
BubbyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #27
MattD22556
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Harris Teeter has Smithfield Boston Butt for $.99 a pound.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #28
ncBBQtx
Knows what a fatty is.

I miss the south and those great deals on pork butts and shoulders. In the spring you had to ride with your windows rolled up, they were just throwing them at you. It's an awesome cut of meat, one of the few that freezing does not seem to affect.

I usually shop at our military commissary, prices there are around 1.08 to 2.08, you can't even find pork shoulder/butts consistently in markets here.

Saw some in a local Giant price at 4.58 a pound once, almost rang the bell to ask the meat manager if they were crazy.
ncBBQtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #29
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Well considering my Family is on the health kick they are on.. i have been smoking Pork Loins, Chickens, Turkeys lately than anything.. can't remember the last time i smoked a pork butt.

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #30
aawa
Babbling Farker

I haven't had that problem as rainchecks are my friend!

Foodlion had a sale of $.99/lb. I went there one day and they were out of pork butts. I went and got a rain check and sent my roommate up to the store to get a rain check. I went in the next day and they were out still. I got another rain check and sent my roommate to get one as well. I went in the next day and bought up 8 pork butts and put them in the freezer. I just used the last one up just before Christmas.

I am going to buy 8 more at $.99/lb using 1 of my 4 rainchecks that don't expire!