what temp do you cook your abts and how long?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I continue to try and perfect my ABT's, and I have had mixed results with varying lengths and temps. I'm curious what others folks are doing. I'm pretty happy with the recipe now, but the cooking seems to be a big factor in results.

Thanks!

I'll probably be the only one on here that does this but I don't like the "crunchie" pepper so I get them cleaned out and boil'em for about 7-8 minutes the stuff them and wrap the bacon. Then all you have to do is cook the bacon. I put them in my offset as close to the fire on a rack and it takes about 15 minutes. Temp could be around 325° or so. Hope this helps.

I don't think the temp matters just cook until the bacon is done. The only time I struck out they were to close to the charcoal the grease flared and burnt the bottom of the peppers, cut off the burnt and the tops were fine.

Yep go with what you want..quicker cook or slower cook. I prefer the the 300* area but like the others say it's all good!

I'm a 300ish cooker as well and just cook until the bacon is done.

275 for about an hour for me and it will cook the pepper properly. Higher temps will cook the bacon before the pepper is soft.

I'll do a "reverse sear" type cook for the ABT's...I always cook them indirect... Start at 250* for 30-40 min...when the bacon fat starts to render and the pepper's soften, I will open the vents and cook them at 325-375 until I get the bacon crispy...It's a little extra babysitting but I'm okay with that...My .02

250 for just under 2 hours. I peek at the bacon starting 1.5 hrs.

I clean the peppers and then MICRO for about 3 min till "half" done...I do not like the crispy peppers....This takes care of that...Then about 250/smoke for an hour??...I vary all smoke/grill as time figures in...

Attachments

• abt.jpg
    abt.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 259
Thanks for the responses.

I am finding that a little bit of a longer smoke at 250 or so rather than close to 300 produced a slightly better end product imo.

I used the same recipe, but the longer cook time at lower temp seemed to allow the bacon to render into the Jalapeno a little better while keeping the inner filling more intact.

I'll continue to experiment of course!

Thanks for the responses.

I am finding that a little bit of a longer smoke at 250 or so rather than close to 300 produced a slightly better end product imo.

I used the same recipe, but the longer cook time at lower temp seemed to allow the bacon to render into the Jalapeno a little better while keeping the inner filling more intact.

I'll continue to experiment of course!

I agree

thats how I did some yesteday

the bacon was done, peppers soft and filling intact

Usually 250ish until the bacon is rendered and crisp, but I would like to try the pepper rack as I can't stand when that delicious filling oozes out and gets lost to the flame! Such a travesty.

Back