Weber Lid Reconditioning

Exocet

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up a used 22.5" Weber grill for the purpose of using the lid for my UDS. The lid was slightly out of round. So, I've squeezed it back into shape. The outside is fairly clean. A couple of scratches that are rusty. Also, a bit light surface rust (pitting) in one area.

So, is just a light sanding in order for the outside? I figure the base paint is better than anything I can spray on it. So, I wasn't planning on taking it down to the bare metal.

The inside appears to have a fairly even coat surface rust on the inside (but might be other gunk). So, I was planning to sand it down to the bare metal and season it with the rest of the drum.

What have other people done?

Well, there is no way you are going to sand that thing down. The porcelain is incredibly hard. I just try to get out the rust spots and hit them with a high gloss, high temp (550 degree) engine paint that you can get from an auto parts store. I wouldn't touch the interior other than cleaning it up

yea, minimal sanding. the inside probably has junk on the porcelain coating/ hit it with oven cleaner and see what happens. as to rust i sand that lightly and then just apply repeated coats of pam. it bakes a nice coating on the rust. reapply if necessary.

If you are going to sand, only do it where there are areas of porcelain missing.
Personally, I'd use SOS pads or 0000 steel wool and no sanding.
Highly doubtful there is rust on the inside. It's probably dried up cooked on gunk. Oven cleaner or a razor blade or elbow grease are your best bets for cleaning that off.
As far as rust on the outside, I have found treating it with flax oil to be very effective.
Best of luck.

I am rehabbing a 2005 Weber Performer. The lid was in rough shape with rust arond the handles and a few area's around the lip and some dings on the lid. First thing I did was clean the surface with some Dawn dish soap and 0000 steel wool. Then i hit the rusted area's with a really fine grit sanding sponge (I believe it was 800 grit but can't remember off hand) After that I rewashed it to remove any dust/rust particles that might of remained in the area. Then I put down some high temp spray paint around the rusted areas. I overlapped the surrounding area and then hit the surrounding area with the sanding sponge against to remove the excess spray paint. This ensures that all of the rust spots were completely covered by the high temp paint.

I would dab some Naval Jelly on the rust spots and let it sit and do its thing.

that stuff works wonders, I used it on a rusty boat trailer and it worked great.

yea, minimal sanding. the inside probably has junk on the porcelain coating/ hit it with oven cleaner and see what happens.

It's definitely baked on junk inside the lid. I hit it with one dose of oven cleaner. Didn't do too much. Round two is underway. I don't want to get too aggressive with it now that I can see some of the original paint underneath.

The cooking grid is bad looking. But again, I think most of it is cooked on junk. I've picked some of it off, and the steel underneath still looks good.

Hit it with Naval Jelly & steel wool and then spray some Pam on it and call it day.

The oven cleaner approach is very slow going. I'll probably need 5-6 rounds to get it clean on the inside.

I took the pressure washer to the cooking grate. Probably got 90% of the crud off.

Back