MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Dan2276
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Thoughts on Foie Gras Infused BBQ Sauce

So I am having a party in a week and a half. I am making 20-30 lbs of shoulder and about 10 baby backs. Any way, I've always been tempted to make foie gras bbq sauce, and think I am just crazy enough to do it this year.

I'd use a standard Kansas City style recipe for the sauce (most likely the one from amazing ribs or whatever) replace the oil for sauteing the onions and garlic with foie gras drippings, and then finely chop and caramelize the rest of the foie and add it to the sauce.

What do you guys think?
Dan2276 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2276 View Post
So I am having a party in a week and a half. I am making 20-30 lbs of shoulder and about 10 baby backs. Any way, I've always been tempted to make foie gras bbq sauce, and think I am just crazy enough to do it this year.

I'd use a standard Kansas City style recipe for the sauce (most likely the one from amazing ribs or whatever) replace the oil for sauteing the onions and garlic with foie gras drippings, and then finely chop and caramelize the rest of the foie and add it to the sauce.

What do you guys think?
First off, DO IT and report back the results! :)

Having said that I think that the buttery lusciousness of the foi gras will get lost in the heavy flavors of a KC style sauce. Seems like an expensive ingredient for simple barbecue. But you absolutely have to try it out and let us know how it works out! It would give the sauce *a lot* of umami which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I dunno, this seems like a great stunt, but, I don't see how it is going to work out. Sure, the fat will infuse into the sauce, but, I think the other flavors will be lost. Still, I am often wrong, so I say, go for it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Um, no.

Now fois gras wrapped in bacon and sauced, maybe...

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Dan2276
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm thinking it's more to add immense richness to the sauce versus foie gras flavor, but I understand what you are saying.
Dan2276 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
landarc

Oh, then I say again, go for it, it will add immense richness. I recently had it in a salad dressing, and it was terrific.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Bludawg

What is Fio Grass and why would I put it in My Sauce??

Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Supes
Got Wood.

For me, what separates foie gras from a regular duck pâté is the subtlety of flavor and that awesome smooth texture. I fear that both could be lost in a sauce.

I would start off with a regular pâté and get it so that you can really taste those duck flavors. When you're happy with the recipe, try it with the expensive stuff and see if you can notice the difference.
Supes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I would go with a lighter sauce and include mushrooms. Definitely forgo the tomato and heavy sugar aspects. Might be tempted to reduce some wine instead.

It could be epic.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm thinking a frois gras butter sauce or frois gras and truffle butter sauce on a S&P brisket sammich or on the slices by themselves would be a better option. Cooked with no fruit woods but with oak.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Try it, what the heck. It will probably be used best as a finishing sauce.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Do it!

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll be the voice of dissent. The heart and soul of good bbq is simplicity- the art of making delicious food from a few simple ingredients, lower end cuts of meat, time, smoke, and patience. Most people expect bbq to taste like bbq, not fancy French cuisine. I think I'd do the shoulders and ribs traditionally and save the foie gras for some kind of appetizer where it can be itself and can be appreciated for what it is. Hell, here in NC, people would turn their noses up at the bbq if there was a little too much ketchup or sugar in the sauce, much less goose guts.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

Having no idea what it would taste like, my only concern would be the actual look of the sauce. I've had foie a bunch of times but never cooked with it. I'm thinking it might be grainy looking. IDK, definitely post pics!

On a side note, I have some leftover duck fat in my freezer I was looking to incorporate into some BBQ...somehow. It's amazing the flavor you get, just a tablespoon on homefries, salt and pepper.

Oh, and you might want to have another sauce as some people are against foie, yadda yadda yadda.
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I'm thinking you need to gasp freeze some and send it to me. I'm drooling.......

Yes, the foie gras (fat liver for our non-French speaking brethren) is a rather rich ingredient to add to a ketchup/molasses sauce, both so are truffles in a mac and cheese.

GO FOR IT!