MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
A pizza stone is a cheap alternative.
A lot of cheap pizza stones can't take the heat, either. They have been known so shatter or explode when used on a grill.

I read somewhere that the heat causes moisture in the concrete to expand and that is what causes the problem. The older the concrete the less moisture, but I still wouldn't take the chance. I did use my PBC on the front walk, but it was 18 degrees outside so it apparently didn't get hot enough to cause a problem.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I'm trying to follow this. My UDS is on a cart which gets it about 3" to 3 1/2" off the ground. I use it on the patio and never, have had an issue. Now if the PBC is in the horseshoe stand and up 3" from the ground, what problem are you having?
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
I'm trying to follow this. My UDS is on a cart which gets it about 3" to 3 1/2" off the ground. I use it on the patio and never, have had an issue. Now if the PBC is in the horseshoe stand and up 3" from the ground, what problem are you having?

As far as the PBC goes, all I said was that it disintegrated a 12" hole in my grill mat. Was giving folks a heads up.

As far as using it on a sidewalk, I have to defer to the UDS guys if its safe on concrete.. I have only had a chimney launch into the air..... and like i said, i dont think either(pbc or uds) gets as hot as a full chimney blasting heat like an afterburner.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks Guys! I'm pretty much confined to my Carport so to make sure when I get one of these, I'll use some kind of heat sink.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Back on topic,
Phil, did you have any worries about loosing your ribs since you didn't foil? I'm not a foil'er. I've been wondering about how best to do ribs and butts. I figured both would get pulled off the hooks and onto the rack. But, that sort-of defeats the space benefits of the PBC and I might have to cross my fingers and hope I have enough charcoal for a large butt.

Also, when you say that the ribs are a very different product than when foiled and sauced. Was there something different about unsauced ribs on the PBC than from unsauced on other cookers. Or was this just a sauced vs. unsauced comment?

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Back on topic,
Phil, did you have any worries about loosing your ribs since you didn't foil? I'm not a foil'er. I've been wondering about how best to do ribs and butts. I figured both would get pulled off the hooks and onto the rack. But, that sort-of defeats the space benefits of the PBC and I might have to cross my fingers and hope I have enough charcoal for a large butt.

Also, when you say that the ribs are a very different product than when foiled and sauced. Was there something different about unsauced ribs on the PBC than from unsauced on other cookers. Or was this just a sauced vs. unsauced comment?
I hooked the ribs under the 3rd(maybe 4th) rib, so they were on there plenty tight. there was no risk of them tearing off the hooks.

now, im not a food scientist, and i could be wrong, but I dont thing the pbc(or uds) has the same cooking environment as an offset.. and IMO, i think its the lower humidity levels and the radiant heat(and higher direct temps) in the drums that mad eit different. The bark on the ribs was beautifully dry and crunchy with a deep mahogony color.. it was just too nice to foil, start steaming and mess up. Only time i got bark like that in the offsets was to cook at higher temps >310. The ribs had a different texture also, very tender, pulled off bones clean, they were just not a soft(does that make sense?) I try not to foil ribs when they are for home. I like dry rub, with light to no glaze. The ribs on the PBC were crunchy, not sticky and that was good for me.

i havent done one yet, but when i cook a butt on the pbc, im going to tie it up with butchers twin, form a bit of a net and hook it with the twine.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Back on topic,
Just to add in with what Phil noted..

I'd be more worried about losing the rack of ribs if you DID foil them. The outer layer of bark is what I think really helps keep the ribs intact and gives it integrity when hanging on the hook. Foiling the ribs really hurts the bark and would make it difficult to get the ribs back on the hook and stay there. I've done a couple racks of ribs on my Pit Barrel and never foiled the ribs. Still turn out great.

About the butts..(this kind of goes out to Poobah too) I did a 9lb shoulder a few weekends ago and had no issues at all with it being too heavy or needing any other kind of support. I used four of the hooks just to be sure it would stay but could've gotten away with 3 or maybe even 2. However, I didn't leave it on the hooks until it was done. It stayed on the hooks to 165 IT and then was foiled and placed on the grate until 200 IT.

Just my thoughts for the stew..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
BBQchef33

isnt the grate too close? and its starts to grill the meat?

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
As in the pork shoulder? Nope, not when the grate is sitting on the table across the patio!

I'm an adrenaline junkie and like taking risks!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #25
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
But, the grate is further than the tips of the ribs when they are hanging... none of it makes sense to me.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
BBQchef33

yeah, i meant putting the pork butts on the grate for hours to finish.

--k--- I dont get it either, but even thought he bottom 1 or 2 ribs get grilled somewhat, the rest of the rack is fine. i would guess its the surface area exposed to direct heat when laying flat as opposed to it hanging vertical.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #27
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
yeah, i meant putting the pork butts on the grate for hours to finish.
Wow. Totally different frame of reference on that. Let me change my answer...

Yes, the grate is close but I didn't have a problem with the shoulder burning on the bottom side or overcooking. Not sure why or why not so that is open for debate.

Sorry about the confusion . These long night/long day combos start messing with your comprehension a bit.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #28
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Sounds more like you need to fashion a shelf above the fire basket in that thing and use the pizza stone as a diverter like the UDSs usually have. I myself need to do that on my uds. If I am not careful I burn **** up because once I remove my lid those twin one inch inlets get to acting like a forge.

I hate to do this because I painted the damn think and it looks like a 57 Bel Aire.... I hate to drill another set of holes.

Anyway.. a nice diverter mod would be good on that PBC. If ya don't wanna drill holes get some small chain from HD and hang a low shelf from your hangers and support the stone or a Potted Plant thingy... forgot what they are called... you set the pot on it to collect any water drips... they are shallow.

Quote:
Here's my take on this. When I first got the spice wine I was cooking in front of the house, and I with a chimney on the sidewalk. I left it there for 5 or 10 minutes to get hot, it was a full chimney. While inside the trailer prepping the meat I heard a loud explosion and looked up just in time to see the chimney launch off the sidewalk and all the coals inside it fly all over the street and lawn. There was a divit on the sidewalk the width of the chimney and about an inch deep. It seems the heat coming out of the bottom of the chimney cause this concrete to react. Now granted that I doubt the bottom of a PBC or UDS gets as hot as the bottom of a chimney but I don't know for sure where the line is that would cause the concrete to react like that. Im pretty sure that the entire escapade is documented here in the forum and someone, I believe it was Mark came up with a reasonable explanation. With that being said I think I'm going to get a pizza stone or something along those lines to put under the PBC. For the most part it will be left in my pit area which has a pea stone base which would be ok, but right now until the snow melts its right outside my door on the deck. The Green Egg plate setter worked perfectly but I prefer to have that inside the egg instead of sitting on the floor on the deck. A pizza stone is a cheap alternative.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote