Bloom'n Onion Question

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Found a few threads on Onion Rings but not for the whole Onions like Chili's used to serve.

I would like to try some of these this weekend.

Anyone have some details on deep frying these. I need all you got, from how to cut the batter and cooking times.

Thanks.

I'm interested in this as well. I tried making these a few months back and they turned out terribly.

Don't have one. But if you search for "outback steakhouse blossom onion" you'll get quite a few recipes.

The grocery store around here use to sell a packet to mix up for the batter. I know it's probably not the answer you were looking for but....... The packet might be a starting point. Don't remember if it was in a packet or box

I googled "bloomin onion recipe" and found a bunch.

CD

I used to have a special onion cutter for it and threw it out. Making them is a pain because you are supposed to soak them for hours and DEEP fry. Personally I'd recommend making rings with that batter and sauce. That's what Cheddars serves.

Saw it on a tv show where they would show secret recipes from famous places (on CMT channel called Top Secret Recipe-season 1 episode 3). The key was to get a special type of onion who's shape and size could handle it.

Make sure that your fryer is big enough to stay hot when you drop a whole onion in. A little fry daddy type does not hold enough oil and you get lousy results. I would guess at least a gallon of oil and a nice thick fryer would be the minimum requirements. Buy extra onions so that if the bloomin' thing fails you can make some onion rings.

Back