MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Please look back a few posts. I just replied to the same question less than an hour ago.

John
I see that you did John. I was just wondering WHY myself is all. I mean nothing by my post but it burns charcoal,has an intake and exhaust same as any other cooker,right? What makes it so good as meaning just your opinion is all I meant? If it really is better GREAT I'm all in in that. Love a good cooker! I respect your opinion on a cooker as you know. Been following your blog for a long time and can't get enough of it. I'm not blasting anything just wondering is all. Looks like quality to me tho a bit on the small side correct me if I'm wrong. I'll do a little more investigating when I have time. Thanks, Bob
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I see that you did John. I was just wondering WHY myself is all. I mean nothing by my post but it burns charcoal,has an intake and exhaust same as any other cooker,right? What makes it so good as meaning just your opinion is all I meant? If it really is better GREAT I'm all in in that. Love a good cooker! I respect your opinion on a cooker as you know. Been following your blog for a long time and can't get enough of it. I'm not blasting anything just wondering is all. Looks like quality to me tho a bit on the small side correct me if I'm wrong. I'll do a little more investigating when I have time. Thanks, Bob
The simple answer to the "why" question is simply the engineering and
design that Noah put into the cooker. For example, the charcoal basket is
pre-measured. You just fill it level, light it, and go.

Just to provide a little perspective on the thought that went into the
design, Noah told me that he went through 29 prototype barrels before he
landed on the current design.

Also, the meat hanging method (which is patent-pending) is essentially like
a stationary rotisserie, which makes the meat cook very evenly with no
flipping or tending.

I hope this helps,
John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
btw: gonna be doing two whole chickens (split in half) on the PBC tomorrow... can't wait to see how they turn out. Based on the "how to" video @ www.pitbarrelcooker.com it looks SUPER easy. Will let you guys know how it turns out
Nice! I smoked some home-cured bacon in mine last weekend and there's no
going back to storebought.

John

Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
+1 I would be scared my meat would fall off the hooks after 1 too many millers
Fall off the hook tender (i kid, i kid)
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Fall off the hook tender (i kid, i kid)
Kidding aside, that would be my biggest worry about cooking on hooks. I know that if I cook a 12 lb brisket to my desired doneness, that its probably gonna weigh about 8 lbs when its done. When that meat gets tender I can really see it having trouble holding togethet around that hook. Now if we're talking multiple hooks in one piece of meat, that would make more sense.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #36
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

As I and others have suggested, just head over to their site and watch the videos. Noah
covers all of the typical meats in detail, and I think it will answer a lot of the questions
that continually crop up here.

John

Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
Skidder
Babbling Farker

John thank you for explaining. I mean no disrespect I didn't have the time to look at everything but will later. Thanks again. If you endorse it it has to be good. You my friend are well respected around here. Bob
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #38
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
John thank you for explaining. I mean no disrespect I didn't have the time to look at everything but will later. Thanks again. If you endorse it it has to be good. You my friend are well respected around here. Bob
No worries, Bob.

John

Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #39
-HAZARD-
Knows what a fatty is.

PadioDaddio,

I think you're misinterpreting my question.

I was really looking for a good honest explanation of the differences from those with experience using both. I have a UDS. I was wondering if there was good reason to spend $225 on new (reasonably priced & professional built) smoker that might perform better then what I was able to build at home. Thus, hearing about the differences that were then explained was helpful. Though not convincing enough for me to invest in one right now.

Yes, I could have gone to the site and listened to the pitch from the guy that makes them, but that would be a little biased wouldn't you think? Your reviews and comments of this product in this thread and in your blog can easily be interpreted that you had more involvement than just a love for the product. That you are on a first name basis with the person that manufacturers it, and comment about "patent pending" designs strengthens that interpretation, but whatever. My intent is not in guesstimating your level of involvement, but rather learning more about the product in an unbiased manner. Which through your response and others, I have to some degree.

Last edited by -HAZARD-; 12-20-2012 at 03:07 PM..
-HAZARD- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #40
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Hazard - I can understand seeking information, but at some point you probably have to leave this forum to get it. For example, go to the PBC Facebook page and read the accolades.

Sometimes it seems that folks invest $500 of thought into a $225 decision.

John

Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #41
480 Volt
Got Wood.

John thanks for the information, just ordered mine. Figured if you say it is the bomb it is.
480 Volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #42
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Cool! I know you'll dig it.

John

Old 12-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #43
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Got 2 chickens, split in half and rubbed with Head Country...gonna be hanging them in the PBC in about 1 hour...CAN'T WAIT for dinner tonight!!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #44
Biggun
On the road to being a farker

I met the owner of the company several months ago when he demo'd this in SoCal. Super nice guy, very well built product, obviously made in USA. At the time, I had some of the same questions about it vs. the UDS, and I told him I felt the price would be right at$200. Seeing these reviews piqued my interest, if anyone can share the info for the $225 delivered ( if I'm not too late), I'll pull the trigger. Thanks.
Biggun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #45
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun View Post
I met the owner of the company several months ago when he demo'd this in SoCal. Super nice guy, very well built product, obviously made in USA. At the time, I had some of the same questions about it vs. the UDS, and I told him I felt the price would be right at$200. Seeing these reviews piqued my interest, if anyone can share the info for the $225 delivered ( if I'm not too late), I'll pull the trigger. Thanks.
Easy Peasy bro!! Go to grilling.com, register, and you'll be given a discount code for your new PBC.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->