cooked first comp in la platte

arrowhead

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i've judged 31 contests and was gonna cook with a friend in la platte ne to finish off the mcbj requirement. he had to cancel and after looking at my schedule, i wasn't going to be able to cook again until octber, no good. so i talked my friend hamiltont and fellow gothenburg contest organizer jb into forming HEB BBQ (on tuesday) and headed to la platte on friday morning.

altho hamiltont was the head cook, he let me decide on what/how to put things in the box. long story short, my stubborness led us to a 33rd place finish out of 40.

as some of you know, judges scores are all over the place (lol). we received a 9 and then the dreaded 6 from the same table. that's a head scratcher.

nucornhusker was at the site next to us, also cooking for the first time, he finished a very respectable 21st. he's gonna do well in future comps, congrats to him.

i want to thank hamiltont and jb for jumping in at the last minute to help a brother out. i apprecitae it very much.

one final note, parsley is what will keep me judging.

Congrats to you and to nucornhusker on your first competitions! Sounds like both teams did respectable. I know what you mean about the parsley comment, I hate building them darn boxes! :frown:

Congrats to you and to nucornhusker on your first competitions! Sounds like both teams did respectable. I know what you mean about the parsley comment, I hate building them darn boxes! :frown:
Congrats to you on the GC!:clap:

i've judged 31 contests and was gonna cook with a friend in la platte ne to finish off the mcbj requirement. he had to cancel and after looking at my schedule, i wasn't going to be able to cook again until octber, no good. so i talked my friend hamiltont and fellow gothenburg contest organizer jb into forming HEB BBQ (on tuesday) and headed to la platte on friday morning.

altho hamiltont was the head cook, he let me decide on what/how to put things in the box. long story short, my stubborness led us to a 33rd place finish out of 40.

as some of you know, judges scores are all over the place (lol). we received a 9 and then the dreaded 6 from the same table. that's a head scratcher.

nucornhusker was at the site next to us, also cooking for the first time, he finished a very respectable 21st. he's gonna do well in future comps, congrats to him.

i want to thank hamiltont and jb for jumping in at the last minute to help a brother out. i apprecitae it very much.

Arrowhead, I commend you for being a dedicated judge and now a cook! It takes alot of money, time, patience, and dedication to take the leep! I hope to see you on the bbq trail and if you judge the Aksarben contest look for the Honeybadger!

Thank you for the kind words! It was great to meet you guys and cook next to you.

I was a little bummed I was on the end of a four-way tie break for 10th in ribs. :mmph: All in all though we had a good time and I look forward to cooking in more comps soon.

I have to say I have a whole new perspective on BBQ from a competitor's point of view. WOW that's a lot of work to meet a 10 minute window with a perfect presentation. I agree with Arrowhead. 9's & 6's from the same table. I guess we threw them a few curves they haven't seen before... ;-)

Forgot to mention: I wish those who gave the 6's would have filled out a comment card so we could understand their reasoning. As a judge I always fill out a card for a 6 or less. Cheers!!!

Last edited:
First contest also. Learned a lot. Not a fan of no comment cards for 6s or less. Saw one team with a 5 and no comment card. As a judge first, it puts a whole new perspective on the process and comment cards. Fun weekend, atmosphere, great event all the way around.

First contest also. Learned a lot. Not a fan of no comment cards for 6s or less. Saw one team with a 5 and no comment card. As a judge first, it puts a whole new perspective on the process and comment cards. Fun weekend, atmosphere, great event all the way around.
Agreed! I got murdered by two judges in chicken, and good numbers from the other four. Comment cards would have been nice as to why they scored it so low. I will definatly keep cards in mind if I ever judge.

Great job on GC Don! And Congrats to all who walked. Very proud of my boy Robert of Holy Smokes BBQ for 3rd in chicken, 7th ribs, and 12th overall for your first comp! I feel like a proud coach! Now I need some rib pointers...

Smitty250, you made it easy for us, well except for pork and brisket, dropped the ball there.

Awesome job Robert, a 3rd in chicken is outstanding!

Don, you too. Just need to take notes from you on the other two categories. Congrats on your 1st GC, we are a ways away but good things come to those that wait. Great event.

Back