The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Brisket (pron) - Updated at 4 hrs 30 mins of cook

I decided to try a brisket. Just got her going at 8:45 (eastern) this morning. I did a light Montreal Steak seasoning that sat just long enough for the smoker to come up to temperature. This also gave the meat time to warm up to room temperature a little as well. I will post updates later today. Enjoy!

Last edited by ccarter; 08-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Change title to reflect update time.
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I tried the no foil method a couple of weeks ago. I also trimed off too much of the fat. It turned out really dry. Good luck.

Unread 08-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like a good start, and a good price too!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 08-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks like your off to a great start. The colder the meat is the better the smoke ring.

Unread 08-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
TheBear
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good. Looking forward to the results
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
BobM
Babbling Farker

Looks nice so far.
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

The brisket has been on for 2hrs 15 mins now. The meat looks good. I've been holding around 240-245* on the smoker, and the internal temp is at 142*.

For the backwoods users out there - this is my second cook on the backwoods. It seems that my charcoal is burning fast. The tray was down to about half capacity at the 2:15 check so I added more. I've now gone through about 1/2 - 2/3 of a 20lb bag of charcoal. The vents are both open only about 1/8 of an inch. Judging by that, I would take it that the smoker is running pretty efficiently and I always had more air than that going into my WSM. Is it just that the standard basket is so small that it appears that I'm burning through more charcoal? That 20 lb bag should easily last through a 10 hour cook and still have enough for another 4-5 hours on the WSM. Is it the start up that burns a lot of charcoal, and it'll settle down once it's at temp for a while? I'd love some insight on this if anyone has the time. I did ribs for my first cook using RO lump, and had identical results. I decided to try standard KBB briquettes for this one since I had it on hand, and figured I could pack more in the tray.

Anyways... some more pron...

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
farklf
Take a breath!

Oh Yea!
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
chingador
Full Fledged Farker

that looks like you picked out a really nice brisket. Good luck and enjoy the day.

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Bob in St. Louis
is One Chatty Farker

I'm doing my first brisket today too, I'm about 45 minutes ahead of you. Using a 22.5 WSM. That's a nice unit you've got there. Good luck man!

Bob
Bob in St. Louis is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

4 hours and 30 minutes into the cook...

It seems that the charcoal consumption has settled down a bit. The smoker wants to hold at about 245-250* with both vents open to 1/8 of an inch. I've decided to close down one side and see if I can get closer to about 230*. I'm having a wonderful time trying to remove the charcoal pan to clean out ash. I have a set of Kingsford grill gloves (not the leather ones), and a pair of welding gloves. Neither set keeps that heat from searing through after about 5-7 seconds. Also, I improvised a some pipe fittings so that I can fill the water pan a little easier. It has a 2 inch mouth which makes pouring water ouf of a 1 gallon gatorade jug pretty easy, and it tapers to 1/2 inch which will be very good if I'm ever cooking on the bottom grid. The water doesn't back up at all. I kinda thought it might since it was going through a pretty big taper along a fairly small distance.

Back to the meat! It's sitting at 162* at the moment, and the picture hardly does it justice. Right now it looks like the outside of a nicely seared medium-rare NY strip.

Bob, I hope your cook is going well! I wish I had bought a 22" WSM, I probably would've held off for a few more years on the Backwoods, but I got tired of trying to cram racks of ribs on the limited space of the 18".

Chingador, so far I'm really happy with this cut. The true test will come at dinner time, but it looks great so far. If it tastes as good as it looks, I may have to take back some of the nasty things I've said about Wal-Mart meat.

Unread 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Mattman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

It looks like you could smoke something else with that apparatus!

Good luck with your brisket.

Unread 08-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Well, the brisket has been on for 8 hours now. It seems to be in a stall - sitting at 174* and hasn't moved much in over an hour. Magic happening inside hopefully! Up until about the 7 hour mark the outside looked moist, but you can see on the 8 hour picture below, that the top seems to be pretty dry now. I don't know if this is an indication that the inside is drying out as well, or not. Any seasoned brisket cookers, I'd love to know if this is normal, or if I should start thinking about a mop. Other than the moisture, there isn't a huge difference from hour 6 to hour 8. The backwoods is has settled way down. The water consumption has fallen way off just like the charcoal consumption. The water was boiled a bit for the first couple of hours, I'm wondering if that is what has changed the moisture appearance of the brisket as well.

More pron!

At 6 hours:

At 8 hours:

Unread 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Briskys really start to "weep" before and through the stall, so there is a lot of moisture. After that the outside will dry a bit and the bark will form. Dont' worry about the outside, it could look like a meteor from Mars and still be tender and juicy inside.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Bob in St. Louis
is One Chatty Farker

Wow, that's looking great. I loved the comment by Mattman about smoking "something else". I laughed out loud at that one.

I'm also using a one gallon Gatorade jug to fill my pan (haha). ALthough, after 8.5 hours, mine is still half full. Are you adding cold water? That would affect things for sure.

I do think I got ripped off with mine. It's a Walmart hunk of meat that was $28 for 6.2 pounds.
Much more pricey than yours.

Thanks for the well wishes on my first smoke. I've got 14 pics uploading, but with my 'net connection, It might be a bit. No worries though, I won't "OT" your thread with my stuff.

I did a couple "Fatties" along with the brisket. The first one we've eaten and the second is o n the grill now. I'm diggin' this. So far, the family is too. I hope you're looking at the success I (appear to be) having.

Bob
Bob in St. Louis is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
backwoods, brisket, BWS, Party